- Food and Cooking
Fabulous Grilled Black Bean Burgers
Try a Black Bean Burger - I Challenge You to Try to Tell the Difference Between it and Hamburger
I actually discovered black bean burgers by accident. I was at a friend's cookout and they were serving them. I had no idea that they were Vegan and probably wouldn't, unless someone told me.
I grabbed a burger off the plate and began eating it. I really didn't notice the texture as being too different, but I noticed that it had a bold spicy taste. I asked about the seasonings in the burger and was told "black beans." They then told me, "not black bean flavoring, but only black beans."
I was immediately hooked. I took their recipe and adapted it to my own taste and although they may not taste exactly like meat, I think you will like them.
Please enjoy this website and please leave me comments below. Thanks for the visit.
The Black Bean Burger
Where exactly did the Black Bean Burger originate? Its origin is actually in South American. Meat is not always plentiful there and black beans are easily grown.
If you buy one there, expect it to be hot. Not Taco Bell “Hot”, but with a lot of pepper. I can stomach some of the spices but prefer to make mine without them. I have added an option for Jalapeno if you would like it but I prefer not.
Black Bean Burgers are becoming more popular in Vegan cultures and many of the newest cookbooks include their own recipe. Since it is a recipe that can be easily manipulated, much like a hamburger, it has many variations.
As I mentioned above, I found out about these by accident but have grown to love them. I do suggest that you give one a try. You will not be disappointed.
If you really want to cut back on cholesterol and fat, this is the way to go because no matter what type of meat that you eat, you will find that it contains some degree of fat.
Happy eating and please let me know what you think!
"Beans are neither fruit nor musical"
My Black Bean Burgers - As they are cooking!Click thumbnail to view full-size
If you want other Recipes besides mine, try any of these in the Fabulous Veggie Burger Book
Every possible way to make a black bean burger and other types of veggie burger are in this must-have book.
I have tried many of these fabulous recipes!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 - 40 minutes
- (1) 15 - 16 ounce can of black beans - Drain and rinse
- (1/2) cup corn
- canned or frozen
- (1/4) cups of minced fresh cilantro
- (1) teaspoon of cumin - ground
- (1/2) teaspoon of oregano - dried
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- seasoned is ok
- Pepper (to taste)
- Whole wheat hamburger buns - (This recipe makes 3 burgers)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Cheese (optional)
- Jalapenos (optional)
- 1) Cover grill with foil and spray with olive oil cooking spray
- 2) Preheat your grill to grilling temperature - This is usually 350-375 F degrees
- 3) Using a food processor or low speed on blender (I use a Vitamix), put in the beans until they are mashed well. If you do not have either, you can use a fork until they are mashed well
- 4) Put beans in a mixing bowl and mix in cilantro and all spices, plus salt and pepper
- 5) Add your breadcrumbs until the mixture has a formed texture or until you can handle it. This will usually take about 1/4 cup. Ensure that the mixture is no longer sticky
- 6) Add frozen or canned corn into mixture and mix by hand
- 7) If you mix and it is still sticky, put the mixture in your refrigerator for about 10 minutes
- 8) Form the mixture into 3 even patties.
- 9) Spray each patty with the olive oil cooking spray. Do this lightly.
- 10) Put on the grill, cooking for about 7 or 8 minutes
- 11) Flip the burgers and respray them. Grill for another approximately 10 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through. They should be crisp on the outside
- 12) I like mine with cheese and I know others that serve them with jalapenos on top. It is up to you!
- 13) Put on buns and serve immediately. Because there is no fat in them like meat, they dry out very quickly so they need to be eaten right away. Prepare all your sides first so they will be ready when the burgers come off the grill
Black Bean Burger Recipe Videos - If you don't care for my recipe, try these variations
Have You Ever Eaten a Black Bean Burger?
Have you ever had a black bean burger?
“It doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people doesn't add up to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid.”
Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca
If You Eat a Lot of Black Bean Burgers, You'll Probably Need This Safety Kit - C'mon, we know you will
This isn't a joke. I know from years in the Army and from the massive consumption of beans, they can tear up you gastrointestinal tract. We used to joke that you couldn't eat beans before going into the foxhole because you could give away your position to the enemy.
This is a handy kit for home and to carry with you. When you're on a blind date and she is a Vegan, you need to be safe afterwards! This is a good gift for someone. Hey, I know I use them and as I got older, I needed them more.
"He couldn't ad-lib a fart after a baked-bean dinner"
Famous People Named Bean
Mr Bean - Actor
Roy Bean - Judge
L.L. Bean - Clothing Merchandiser
Orson Bean - Famous Television Personality
Alan Bean - Astronaut
Billy Bean - Baseball Team Owner
John William Bean - Failed Assassin of Queen Victoria
Beans - American Rapper
Andy Bean - Golfer
Sarah Bean - English Actress
“You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by the way he eats jelly beans.”