- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How to Make Biscuit Cups: Includes Biscuit Recipe and Ideas
Edible Bowls: Biscuit Cups
Learning how to make biscuits and biscuit cups is easy. Edible bowls are fun to make and they make beautiful serving baskets for your creative ideas and recipes. Take a photo tour of the various ideas for using edible cups and bowls for your family and friends.
Includes recipes and ideas for:
- Biscuit Cups
- Homemade Biscuit Recipe
- Biscuit Fruit Cups
- Spinach, Bacon and Egg Cups
Photo Tutorial: How To Make Biscuit CupsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Recipe for Homemade Biscuits
How to Make Biscuits: Easy Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
- Prep time: 25 min
- Cook time: 13 min
- Ready in: 38 min
- Yields: 10 biscuits
- 1 and 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup bread flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt, (the original recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. salt)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled
- 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening, chilled
- 1/2 cup milk, chilled
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine all the flours, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add the butter. Use a spoon, knife or pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture. Mix well. Repeat the process with the shortening.
- Slowly stir in the milk and buttermilk into the flour mixture. You will eventually be able to gather the mixture into a ball of dough.
- Lightly flour your clean countertop or board. Roll the dough out for cutting. 1 1/2 thickness is good for a standard biscuit. You may want to make the dough slightly thinner for biscuit cups. Lightly brush the flattened dough with half of the melted butter.
- Use a biscuit cutter for creating your biscuits. I use a 2 inch diameter biscuit cutter, but larger are available.
- Place your biscuits two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining melted butter. Bake at 425 degrees for 11 - 13 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with butter, marmalade or your favorite topping.
- Or, make biscuit cups. Press dough rounds onto the bottom of a muffin pan for biscuit cups. See the PhotoTutorial above titled, How To Make Biscuit Cups.
Biscuits and Biscuit Cups
Biscuit cups are fun and easy to make.
Biscuit cups are a great way to serve creative recipes to your family and guests during special occasions and holidays.
Occasions for biscuit cups
- Baby and Bridal Showers
- Holiday Meals
- A Family Brunch
- 10 minutes with commercial biscuits
- 35 minutes with homemade biscuit recipe
- 11 - 14 minutes
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Flatten prepared biscuit dough into 3 inch rounds that are about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spray the bottom of a large muffin pan with non stick spray.
- Press the biscuit dough onto the bottom of the muffin pans. Make sure to press the edges of the dough to the bottom of the pan. Lightly butter or spray the dough to help create a luminous golden brown color during baking.
- Insert muffin pans (upside down of course) onto the center rack of the oven for 11 - 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven. (Don't forget your oven mitt)
- Carefully remove the biscuits from the muffin pan and allow to cool.
- Biscuit cups are ready for the filling of your choice - ENJOY!
Ideas for filling your biscuit cups
- chicken salad
- tuna salad
- egg salad
- omelet recipes
- fruit salad
- fresh fruit
- cheese squares
- deli meats and cheeses
- cheese dip
- salad dressing for vegetable trays
- dips for party trays
Have fun and get creative!
Look below for more ideas and an egg cup recipe.
Biscuit Cups with Fresh Fruit and Whipped Cream
Fresh fruit is always a favorite. For the biscuit fruit cup above I simply mixed frozen chunks of mango, blueberries and freshly sliced strawberries into a bowl. I poured the thawed mixture into the prepared biscuit cups and topped with whipped cream and another sliced strawberry.
Biscuit Cups are Perfect for Breakfast: Try an Egg Cup
Photo Tutorial: Spinach, Bacon and Egg CupClick thumbnail to view full-size
Egg Cups: Upside Down Biscuits
How to make a biscuit egg cup
3 Simple Ingredients:
- one egg
- 4 washed baby spinach leaves: raw and sliced into ribbons
- 1 slice of crispy bacon: chopped
Crack the egg into a small mixing bowl. Add the spinach and bacon. Lightly whisk until blended. Pour the egg mixture into a prepared biscuit cup and microwave for 25 - 35 seconds. Times may vary.
Ideas and options:
- Top with shredded cheese
- Top with cracked pepper
- Top with sea salt
- Top with chopped red onion
- Fluff the cooked egg mixture with a fork to raise the various colors above to the surface prior to serving. This adds color and contrast.
What will you fill your biscuit cup with?
© 2012 Marisa Hammond Olivares