Broccoli-Cauliflower Summer Salad
Favorite Summer Salad Recipe
This broccoli- cauliflower recipe is one I have adapted from various recipes that I have used over the years. It has just the combination of ingredients that my husband and I enjoy!
My special tip is one I learned from a co-worker over 20 years ago. It is to slightly cook the vegetables so they are still crisp yet easier to bite into. This can be easily done by steaming them in the microwave for a minute or two.
I hope you enjoy my version of this healthy broccoli-cauliflower salad!
photos by mbgphoto
Ingredients for Salad - great for your summer menu
In addition to the five ingredients pictured, I use real bacon bits, red onion and Splenda.
Real Bacon Bits - great taste..no mess
A friend of mine told me about this product and I have been using it ever since. It is a great way to get real bacon taste to your foods without the mess of cooking bacon. The product has a long shelf life but once you open the bag it is recommended that they be used within 14 days.
This is a great company salad. It can be made up ahead of time and is very easy to make. My husband always says it gets even better after a few days too. The trouble is making enough for it to last.
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 Tablespoons bacon bits
- 1 cup Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip ( I use Miracle Whip Light)
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Sugar or Splenda (I use Splenda)
- First I cut the broccoli and cauliflower into bite size pieces. I like to steam them slightly so they are easy to bite into. I steam them in the microwave for 1 minute and that seems to work well.
- Next put your first 5 ingredients (broccoli,cauliflower,onion,raisns and bacon bits) into a serving bowl.
- You will then make your dressing by mixing the last three ingredients together and mixing well. After they are mixed stir them into the broccoli and cauliflower mixture in your serving bowl.
- Refrigerate the salad until you are ready to serve. The salad holds up well for several days.
Steam Broccoli and Cauliflower - my own special tip
Most of the recipes that I have read don't call for the broccoli and cauliflower to be cooked, but I have found that steaming them for just 1 minute each makes them much easy to eat in the salad. You will want to make sure they are still crisp so don't overcook them. Cook them just enough to make them slightly tender.
I use a small microwave steamer that works great, but you could also put them in any microwave bowl and cook them for 1 minute.
Vegetable Steamer - great for all your vegetables
I love to steam vegetables in my microwave. It is a great way to keep all the nutrients in your veggies and enjoy some great tasting and low calorie side dishes.
I couldn't find my exact steamer on Amazon but this one looks similar. It comes in three sizes.
For this recipe I put my broccoli in the steamer with a few drops of water. I then microwave it for 1 minute. I repeat the same process with the cauliflower.
Diced Red Onion - gives salad color and zing
I like adding the red onion to the salad. I use about 1/2 of a medium sized red onion, but you could use more or less depending on your tastes.
A Good Cutting Board - essential for cooking
It seems like I go through cutting boards a lot. It is important to use separate cutting boards for your vegetables and meats, so I always seem to have one in my dishwasher. I have found it best to buy about 4-5 cutting boards and rotate their use. I buy fairly inexpensive ones and when they get bad get rid of them and buy a new one. This one looks like a good buy.