Brown Basmati Rice - Healthy, Quick, Delicious!
Brown Basmati Rice is a wonderful wholefood!
Did you know that brown basmati rice is one of the healthiest foods you can eat. It's also very tasty and extremely easy to cook.
Oh and it is relatively inexpensive too and makes a filling meal that all the family can enjoy, or can be a satisfying no-fuss meal for one or two people.
It can also be a delicious accompaniment for many dishes. In fact, rice has to be one of the most versatile foods around!
Read on for some tips on cooking your brown basmati rice to perfection, and some brown basmati meal ideas.
Already a Fan?
Have you tried cooking with brown basmati rice?
The Health Benefits of Brown Basmati Rice
Brown rice is good for you. And basmati rice is a healthy choice. So if you combine the two, you've got yourself a food with some great health benefits.
- High in B vitamins and some key minerals, including manganese, selenium and magnesium
- High in fiber - brown basmati rice is a whole grain so you get the benefit of the natural grain with only the outermost layer (the hull) removed
- High in plant lignans - protective substances that lower risk of disease
To find out more about how healthy brown basmati and other varieties of brown rice can be, visit The World's Healthiest Foods website.
And if you want to be even healthier, choose organic brown basmati rice.
Where Your Basmati Rice is Grown
So easy anyone can cook it!
OK, this one is for you, all you people who claim you can't cook. Whether it is true or not!
Here's one thing you will be able to cook.
First you need your bag of brown basmati rice. It's becoming quite popular here in the UK. If it's not so easy to find where you live, try health food stores. If you are in the US, you can also buy it via Amazon.
Now you can cook your rice in a pan if that's how you like to do it. But for the cooking-challenged, I really recommend a good rice cooker.
Now you're ready to get cooking.
What You Need: Brown Basmati Rice
6 x 128 ounce bags of organic brown basmati rice. Reviewers praise the Arrowhead Mills brown basmati for both taste and value.
I also recommend a rice cooker - This one is highly rated on Amazon
I love my rice cooker. It makes it so easy: just put in the right amount of rice and water, then go off and do something else! This Aroma Rice Cooker and Food Steamer is both versatile and affordable. It can prepare up to 16 cups of cooked rice and has a keep warm feature and a delay timer. You can also steam vegetables and meat at the same time!
This rice cooker has 87 (and counting!) 5 star reviews on Amazon.com
Buyers have found it simple to use, with impressive results. The non-stick pot is also easy to clean afterwards.
The versatile cooker has been successfully used to cook all kinds of rice along with steaming veg or meat at the same time. Many buyers appreciated the delay timer which ensure your rice is ready exactly when you want it.
Brown basmati rice - pure, simple and delicious
The easy way to measure your rice is the US measure of cups. I'm not in the US but my rice cooker came with a handy plastic cup and I bet yours did too.
- For a two-person portion, take 2 cups of your brown basmati rice. Rinse it and put it in the rice cooker.
- Next, add 3 cups of water. (You might be used to adding in equal measures of rice and water. Don't do this for brown basmati rice. It's a firm grain that needs a little extra cooking time.) UPDATE: I've started adding a splash of oil too. It helps stop the rice sticking to the pan.
- Now you can put the lid on and set your rice cooker to begin cooking. Your rice will be ready in about half an hour, so you can go off and prepare the rest of your food. (I often eat the rice on it's own so get half an hour to go do something fun.)
- When it's done, give it a quick stir to stop it sticking to the bowl. Leave to warm - or serve right away.
- Brown basmati rice has a nice taste served as it is, but you can add some soy sauce to give it added flavor.
Brown Basmati Recipes - Use brown basmati in your favorite rice dishes
This versatile rice can replace white rice in so many dishes. Here are just a few brown basmati rice recipe ideas.
- Vegan Indian Brown Basmati Rice Pilaf
This delicious recipe from Healthy Girl's Kitchen is 100% vegan but just as delicious for the rest of us.
- Recipe for Brown Basmati Rice Salad
This tasty brown basmati rice salad includes chicken broth in the ingredients but could be substituted with a vegetable broth for a vegetarian version.
- Brown Basmati Rice And French Green Lentils Recipe
This brown basmati and French green lentil recipe is recommended as a quick side dish for Indian cuisine.
Rice Cooker Meals: Fast Home Cooking for Busy People - A great buy if you own (or plan to buy) a rice cooker
This popular guide to cooking using your rice cooker is highly-rated on Amazon.com. It has 60 tasty recipes for one-pot dishes from a variety of cuisines. Not just rice, you'll find all kinds of ideas for meals you can cook in your rice cooker here!
This guide to fuss-free cooking has had the thumbs up from many Amazon reviewers who enjoyed discovering how to create meals inspired by Cajun and other cuisines in their rice cooker.
The recipes are easy to put together and use easily-sourced ingredients. Of course, you can tone down the spiciness of many recipes if you prefer your food less hot!
Your Essential Brown Basmati Rice Links - Find out more about this healthy, wholesome rice!
- Brown Rice -- All the Facts from World's Healthiest Foods
WHFoods is my go-to resource when it comes to finding out what I should be eating more of and why. Discover the nutritional benefits of brown rice and why it is so much better for you than white!
- Tilda's Brown Basmati Rice -- 2 Minutes in the Microwave!
This was how I first discovered brown basmati rice. Tilda's microwaveable rice packets are so quick and easy, they just take 2 minutes in the microwave. I'm a rice cooker convert now, but love Tilda for the occasional time when I only have 5 minutes
- Bob's Red Mill -- Basmati Brown Rice
Bob's Red Mill is an online whole grain food store located in Oregon. Bob sells brown basmati rice in 27 oz or 25 lb bags.