Buffalo Cauliflower Salad
I've seen variants of this recipe floating around for a while, but I finally decided to make it myself as a light dinner. I left the sauce off the salad for my 5-year-old child -- spice isn't her thing. But she still enjoyed the salad, as I hope you will, too. (Also, if you want to ditch the salad idea, just make these saucy florets for a gathering -- stick some toothpicks in your cauliflower pieces to serve them as a great appetizer or snack.)
- 1/4 cup butter or vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
- Nutritional yeast to taste
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- Garlic powder to taste
- Onion powder to taste
- Honey or other sweetener to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Olive oil to coat florets
- 3 scallions, sliced
- Cheddar cheese, grated, to taste (or vegan cheddar-style shreds)
- 1 tomato (out of season, Ugly Ripe tomatoes work GREAT if you can find them), chopped
- Romaine hearts, cut horizontally, in inch-wide pieces
- Ranch dressing of your choice (I used Annie's Cowgirl Ranch, but there are loads of choices -- including great vegan varieties -- out there)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place cauliflower florets on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over pieces and then sprinkle garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper over the cauliflower. Toss the mixture on the sheet so all pieces are coated. Then place in heated oven for 20 minutes, or until the florets are well-browned.
- Place a saucepan on medium heat. Melt the butter, then add the hot sauce. Stir and add a little bit of honey (you choose the amount -- it's just there to add some sweetness and temper a bit of the heat.) Pour in some nutritional yeast -- a little pile on top of the sauce should do -- and mix it in. Then just continue to cook the sauce, stirring occasionally, as the cauliflower roasts away.
- When browned, remove the florets from the oven and add them to the sauce, coating each piece.
- Place lettuce and tomatoes in a bowl, add saucy florets, and top with your cheese. Sprinkle some green onion on top and enjoy!