Caramel Pecan Apple Pie
This Caramel Pecan Apple Pie is like a member of our family when it comes to holiday events or gatherings. The only difference is, this family member gets eaten, and eaten so fast that some of us are getting a slice with our dinner to ensure we get a piece! We had to start making two, sometimes three, to keep up with the demand from everyone.
I learned this recipe from my mom, who learned it from her great aunt Layvah, and it has become a staple for holidays in our family! Apple pies are delicious in almost any form, and there are thousands of recipes for them. I've made a few different types of apple pies, but nothing quite compares to this one. The odd thing is, that even though I make this and it comes out so scrumptious and mouth watering, it always tastes best when my mom makes it. Why is that? Same with chocolate chip cookies, we do the exact same recipe but moms are always better! Dad says he can't tell the difference, but I definitely can.
We usually make this for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and sometimes Easter. My mom also makes this upon request for any potlucks or gatherings we go to with the church. I definitely think this is a recipe worth sharing during the holidays, but I really don't see why you couldn't make this on any occasion. You don't even need an occasion, why not just treat yourself or family to a delicious dessert just because?
You will have your family crawling over the smell alone, it's the most amazing mouthwatering smell you can imagine! It's like a honey nut apple smell, that just fills the whole house...and everyone will know which pie your making. In fact, sharing this with you, is really making me crave one of these pies right now. Oh dear, I should've known better than to write about this recipe while pregnant! I can't wait until I get to make this again, I hope you enjoy it and would love your feedback once you've tried it yourself and tasted its glory!
- Prep time: 45 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 8
- 6 cups peeled apples, sliced
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pastry shell (the kind you have to bake)
- 1/4 cup of caramel (we melt caramel squares, but any caramel will do)
- Streusel topping:
- 1/4 cup caramel (we mix a bit of honey in with our caramel)
- 3/4 cup flour (all purpose kind)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tbsp butter (cold)
- You will need a big bowl to put your sliced apples into.
- Then your going to pour the vanilla and lemon juice onto the apples.
- Mix them all up (we just wash our hands real good and do it by hand). I did try doing this all in a giant zip-lock bag and shaking it all once but it didn't work very well.
- Next, you're going to add the cornstarch, both sugars, pecans, and the cinnamon. Then mix it all up, be sure to try to get the apples evenly coated with all ingredients. Set this aside and move on to the pie shell.
- This next part may be what makes it so tasty, I'm not sure. We pour caramel and honey into the bottom of the pie shell, (Mom mixes the honey and caramel together then pours it into the shell).
- Then add your apple filling, and drizzle butter over the top of it.
- Streusal Topping: In a separate bowl you add the flour, pecans, and sugar.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two butter knives will work. Until I bought a pastry cutter, I always struggled with this part.
- You will want it to look like little crumbles. Sprinkle this on top of the filling.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until topping is nice and brown!
- Make sure you drizzle the caramel on top of the pie as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let it cool, then viola! The best Caramel Apple Pecan Pie you've ever had!
I tried so hard to use two butter-knives to cut the butter into the streusel topping, but I just never could get it quite right. I bought one of these lovely pastry cutters, and it has made making this streusel topping so much easier!
I have a nice pie plate similar to this one which I used as the background for this page! A great way to present your pie!
We've been using Pyrex since I can remember, and I've always been happy with their products. I know they are durable and long lasting, it really is a great brand. I've never had a Pyrex Pie plate but I've got Pyrex bowls, measuring cups, etc. This is portable too, so it would be a perfect take a long dish for parties, gatherings, etc.