Cardinal Sin Recipe
This Dessert is a Guilty Pleasure!
This chocolate dessert recipe is so full of gooey sweetness, and is so easy to make, it is no wonder someone decided eating it must amount to a Cardinal Sin. All of my Catholic friends might have to go to confession after enjoying this rich, chocolate dessert! I don't know if it is truly a cardinal sin as far as the Church is concerned, but it might make you feel like you have committed one! It is truly a Guilty Pleasure, which is another apt name!
This dessert is easy to make for family and friends, and is perfect for a large gathering! It is easily portable, and popular at potlucks. This would appreciated anytime it is your turn to bring something to share with your office mates! It is sure to get you rave reviews!
Try this sweet treat and see if you agree! Let me know what you think!
The History of this Recipe
Among my Aunt Susy's recipes was one for a chocolate layered dessert called Cardinal Sin. I do not know the history of this name. I have found similar recipes on the internet under the names chocolate layered dessert and Guilty Pleasure. Since my Aunt Susy called it Cardinal Sin, so do I.
You may remember your own aunt or mom making this dessert when you were a child! It's so much fun to give new life to these old heritage recipes!
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 12 ounce container of Cool Whip
- 2 packages of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 1. Melt a stick of margarine or butter, and combine with the flour and nuts. Press this mixture into a 9 by 13 inch baking pan to form a thin crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool.
- 2. Mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1 cup of the Cool whip. Spread this mixture on the cooled crust in the baking pan.
- 3. Prepare the chocolate pudding with the milk. Mix two minutes with an electric mixer or wire whisk. Spread the pudding over the second layer.
- 4. Spread the rest of the Cool Whip over the top of the pudding, then sprinkle with more chopped nuts. Put this into the refrigerator to chill and become firm.
Great to Make in the Summer
The oven is only used for a few minutes to prepare the crust. Everything else is done in the fridge for a cool treat at the end of the day! The perfect thing to enjoy after a summer meal!
Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook - A Great Source for More Homespun Dessert Recipes!
Do you like old fashioned desserts? Check this out!
You will find more delicious and down-home dessert recipes in this fun cookbook!
Please Take a Moment to Answer This Poll!
Have you ever eaten this sweet treat?
A Variation You Might Like
Maggie's Chocolate Layered Pudding Dessert is a bit different from my aunt's recipe, but there are enough similarities for you to get the idea how to put this together. Who knows! You might want to include some of her suggestions, such as adding peanut butter to the cream cheese mixture or crumbled Oreo cookies between layers. Get creative! Have fun with this!