Carrot Fennel Stir-Fry
This is a very interesting dish full of solar energy. Orange is a very sunny color. This food is great for the winter months. The winter is a time when homeopathic medicine recommend eating foods which are root vegetables. Carrot is full of beta carotene. It supplies plenty of nutrients. You do not need to take vitamin A if you are eating plenty of carrots.
This dish will taste like falafel. There is a very pasty consistency to the spice mixed in with the carrots. This tastes very Middle Eastern. It is a very filling dish. Personally, I don't like to eat too many carbohydrates. You may want to serve this meal with naan bread. This would round it out completely. You could serve it as a main dish for dinner.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
6 Large Carrots
1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
1 Bulb of Garlic
2 Tablespoons of Cumin
1/2 Cup of Sunflower Seeds
1/2 Cup of Tahini
4 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
1 Cup of Fennel
1. Peel the carrots. Cut into disks. Put 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil in a cast iron frying pan. Put the carrots in the heated up olive oil. Let them fry for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
2. Peel the garlic. Roughly chop it up. Toss the garlic in with the carrots when you are done chopping. Add soy sauce, fennel, and cumin. Stir these ingredients until they are well mixed.
3. Put the carrot mixture into a bowl. Set it aside for the time being.
4. Clean out the frying pan. In my kitchen I only use one cast iron frying pan in order to cut down on kitchen clutter. Some of you may have larger kitchens. I have a very small space. I would clean out my frying pan between steps. You might choose to use a different frying pan to toast the sunflower seeds in.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the frying pan. Brown the sunflower seeds in the pan until they are toasty colored. Once the seeds are toasty brown you may put the carrot mixture back into the frying pan.
6. The next step is to improve the consistency. You may add the tahini and a couple of cups of water. You would want to fill the frying pan up as high as it can go with water. Leave it simmer for about 45 minutes. Much of the water will evaporate. The consistency will not be very runny when it is done.
7. You may serve the dish.
14. Add the rest of the oil prior to serving.
What Is Healthy In This Dish?
-rich in vitamin A
-rich in beta carotene
-fights bad breath
-helps lower blood pressure
-heals digestive disorders
-helps ease morning sickness
-lower in fat than other oils
-helpful in weight management
-high in vitamin E
Are You A Vegan?
Are you a vegan?
Healthy Eating Links
These websites will give you ideas about the nutritional value of some of the ingredients in this dish.
- Green Living - Benefits of Carrots
This website describes in details the health benefits of carrots.
- Home Remedies Web - Fennel
This website offers home remedies. This page discusses the health benefits of fennel.
- Garlic Central
Everything you need to know about Garlic
- Cumin Information
This website gives information on the health benefits of cumin.
- Olive Oil Times
This website discusses olive oil.
- Health Diaries
Sunflower seed health benefits are described on this page.