- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
The Best-Ever Carrot Cake Recipe
My Carrot Cake Recipe Counts As A Serving of Vegetables...
Carrot Cake. Home made carrot cake. WOW.
Why should you eat carrot cake? How about because it is a great source of fiber, vitamins, nuts and other nutrients? How about just because it is delicious!!!
I didn't know I loved carrot cake until I made this delicious recipe from Fulton's Pancake House in Ottawa, Ontario. I am not a professional baker, so mine is not always as pretty as the one shown in this picture but it is always delicious, nutritious and devoured by my family.
Does carrot cake really count as a serving of vegetables? I have no idea; let's just agree to think that it does!
"Vegetables are a must in a diet.
I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread
and pumpkin pie."
- Jim Davis, Garfield's Creator
Fulton's Best-Ever Carrot Cake Recipe - You're going to love this one!
Fulton's Pancake House & Sugar Bush is a maple syrup farm located just outside of Ottawa, Ontario in Canada. Every year they have activities available during the spring running of the sap. The sap harvested from the Maple tree, in case you do not know it, is what they use to make maple syrup.
They also have a pancake house where you can buy pancakes and other related items. The pancakes are always delicious so I was thrilled to find this recipe printed in the Ottawa Citizen one year. Since then, it has become 'my' carrot cake recipe. We love it!
This cake serves 10 to 12 people.
- Oil and flour to grease a 10-inch tube or angel food cake pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached if possible
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated maple sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour milk
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups crushed, well-drained pineapple
- 1 cup grated coconut (optional)
Ingredients for the maple icing:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces or 225 grams of cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- 3 cups of icing sugar
For The Garnish:
- Granulated maple sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly brush oil on tube pan; sprinkle with flour, knocking out excess.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda and salt.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, maple sugar, oil and sour milk. With a rubber scraper, stir in carrots, pineapple and coconut; fold in dry ingredients until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake 1 hour. Test for doneness using a toothpick inserted into the centre, which should come out clean. Remove from oven and leave cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes Use a table knife to separate cake from pan; invert onto a plate. Cool completely before spreading maple icing on the cake.
- For the icing, in the bowl of an electric mixer combine icing ingredients and beat until smooth and thick enough to spread on the cake. To garnish, sprinkle iced cake with maple sugar.
Do you like carrot cake?
Boost The Nutrition Value Of Your Carrot Cake
To give carrot cake an extra nutrition boost, use mild extra-virgin olive oil instead of vegetable oil. You can also use whole-wheat flour instead of white flour since carrot cake is a lot denser and moister than most cakes. The flour will also add a nutty flavor.
"Instead of icing it, I just spread some cream cheese on a slice. Less sugar, and just as yummy as it is sweet enough without extra icing in my opinion."
-- Cat Can Cook
Maple Products are a Healthy Sugar Option
Pure Canadian maple syrup is good for 3 years, if unopened and 1 year in the refrigerator once it is opened. Maple products can be used in cooking or baking, in coffee or tea, with hot or cold cereal, on pancakes, waffles and French toast. You can substitute it anywhere you would use sugar.
Maple products, in Canada, are available at health food stores, at the sugar bush and sometimes at stalls at farmers' markets. If you do not have access locally to maple products, you can order them directly from Amazon.
Real Vanilla Extract For The Best Flavour
Only real vanilla extract will do when you are going all out and making a special recipe. Shown here is an affordable option for real vanilla from a kitchen name you know, McCormick's.
More Carrot and Carrot Cake Recipes
- Carrot Cake Recipe & Video from Joyofbaking.com
Moist and flavorful with grated carrots and apples it is frosted with a delicious cream cheese frosting.
- Sweet Baby Jack Carrot Cake Recipe from Paula Deen
Paula Deen's Sweet Baby Jack Carrot Cake from the Food Network and Paula's Party.
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes Recipe : Ina Garten
Barefoot Contessa's Carrot Cake Cupcakes from Barefoot Contessa's Parties on The Food Network.
- Carrot Recipes
A collection of recipes with Carrot Recipes as the primary ingredient.
- The Star Online
So, do try your hand at making a carrot cake as the recipes are a dime a dozen in cookbooks and you can also source recipes online.
- Yummy scrummy carrot cake | BBC Good Food
The lightest and most enticingly moist carrot cake you will ever come across - just find a good hiding place for it!
- Giada De Laurentiis' Parma-Style Carrot Cake Recipe
Giada De Laurentiis's Parma-style Carrot Cake from the Food Network and Everyday Italian.
While enjoying a playdate at a friend's house, my son Ian was served up a muffin. He enjoyed it thoroughly and politely asked for another and loved it, too. When the Mom of the house asked, "Would you like another CARROT muffin?" he almost fell off his chair.
Carrot cake is a great opportunity to feed your children this bright-orange, nutrition-packed vegetable. The idea of carrot cake is off putting to some children but once they have tasted it, they often love it.
Wow! Carrot Cake ~~ A YouTube Video - This young man's carrot cake recipe has been in the family for 100 years!
Chicago Professional 2-Piece Angel Food Cake Pan
Is your angel food pan worthy of this carrot cake?
Chicago metallic professional 2-piece angel food cake pan with feet. It is heavy weight for durability and strength, features superior heat conduction and has a resist-plus non-stick coating for easy release and quick clean-up. Dishwasher safe.
Fulton's Pancake House
- Fulton's - 4 Season Destination in Pakenham, near Ottawa, Ontario
The recipe on this page is from Fulton's. They produce maple products like those used on this page in the Maple Syrup capital of Ontario on the fringe of Ottawa, Canada's captital city.
What's your favorite kind of cake?
More From My Best-Ever Recipe Collection
- My Best-Ever Recipes Collection
Collected over the last twenty years, my best-ever recipes are from various sources and include recipes for special occasions and for everyday meals.
- The Best-Ever Cinnamon Bun Recipe
The best cinnamon bun recipe that I have ever made is this one that recreates the fabulous Cinnabon cinnamon bun.
- The Best-Ever Banana Bread Recipe
Looking for the best banana bread recipe? You've found it!
- The Best-Ever M and M Cookies Recipe
This best-ever M&M cookie recipe makes irresistible cookies. Don't bake them unless you are prepared to eat them...LOL!
- The Best-Ever Chocolate Fondue Recipe
Looking for an easy and delicious chocolate fondue recipe? You've found one right here!
- The Best-Ever Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
We've been eating these buttermilk pancakes for a couple of decades. No other pancake recipe has compared!
- The Best-Ever Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe
The Best-Ever Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe - An easy family dessert idea.
© 2008 Treasures By Brenda