- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Pancakes - Crepes - Flapjacks
Crepes with grapes, whipped cream and strawberries
Pancakes - a fun day.
Pancakes, waffles, pikelets, flapjacks, crepes are all batter-type foods that just have a few different ingredients in them to make them crisper on the outside or softer on the inside, also cooked different ways like on a griddle or a waffle maker.
- February 12 was International Pancake day.
- February 5 was National Pancake day.
I have been doing a study about these two National and International Pancake days and haven't discovered why two different dates.
Never mind pancake day or no pancake day they are still great to eat any day.
Crepes - another word for Pancakes
My Recipe for Pancakes.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 egg yolks slightly beaten
- 2 egg whites beaten stiff
- Sift flour, sugar and salt twice.
- Mix milk and egg yolks together, then add the flour gradually.
- Mix to smooth batter.
- Add the butter.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Bake on hot greased griddle, when bubbles are starting to break, flip it and cook the other side. Would keep them warm in the oven on a very low heat, while cooking the rest.
- Ways of serving:
- Lemon juice and sugar,
- Spread with jelly or jam and roll.
- Fresh berries and whipped cream and roll.
- Butter and Golden syrup. Called Maple Syrup in other parts of the world.
- Or for an evening meal, roll the pancake around a cooked sausage and bacon, also nice for breakfast.
- I would serve pancakes to my family for a Sunday night tea after having had a Roast meal for Sunday at lunchtime.
How to Make Pancakes from Scratch
New Pancake Recipes.
Blueberry Pancakes Recipe Demonstration
Do you like pancakes with fruit on them or pancakes with syrup?
Blueberry Pancakes - American.
How to Make Pancakes - Hacks and Tips
Check how to Toss a Pancake?
The above video is excellent for beginners it covers the pancake recipe, how to toss a pancake, make thick American style pancakes and thin European pancakes. How to shape and serve pancakes, make blueberry pancakes, and what to do with left over mixture.
Pancakes and Pikelets
There really isn't any difference between pancakes and pikelets, pikelets are made smaller which is a nice size to have with strawberry jam and whipped cream with a coffee.
Here's the recipe I have been using for many years for making pikelets from my grandmother.
one cup flour,
1 tablespoon sugar,
1/2 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon cream of tartar,
1/2 teaspoon baking soda,
Milk to mix to stiff paste,
1 teaspoon melted butter
1. Put all sifted dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Break in egg and mix in milk, add last the melted butter.
3. Mix well and let stand 1/2 hour.
4. Drop in spoonful lots on a hot greased girdle, when all bubbles are on the top, flip the pikelet over and cook the other side.
When cooked lift of the girdle and put on a clean tea tail on a cake rack and cook the next batch.
5. When ready to serve the warm pikelets, you can serve buttered with jam or jelly or just jam and whipped cream on it.
Eaten at afternoon or morning tea with a cup of tea or coffee.
© 2013 Elsie Hagley