Cheesy Vegetable & Macaroni Pie
Macaroni Pie is a favourite Sunday and special occasion dish in the Caribbean.
Macaroni Pie does not normally contain vegetables. However, in this my customized 'Cheesy Vegetable & Macaroni Pie' recipe version, I usually add some vegetables (carrots, spinach & sweet peppers) to infuse it with a healthy dose of plant-sourced vitamins and fiber and make up for all of that cheddar cheese I use in the recipe. Enjoy!
Very versatile bakeware to bake you 'Cheesy Vegetable Macaroni Pie' and other pie recipes.No need to change dishes to store what's left over in your refrigerator.Just cover with the lid and store in the fridge.
- 1 Cup Elbow Macaroni
- 2 CupsCheddar Cheese (shredded) Cheddar Cheese, (shredded)
- 1 Cup Evaporated Milk
- (1/4) Carrot, (shredded)
- 3 Leaves Spinach, (finely chopped)
- (1/2) Sweet Pepper, (finely chopped)
- 1 Clove Garlic, (finely chopped)
- (1/2) Teaspoon Salt
- (1/2) Cup Bread crumbs (or Biscuit crumbs)
I use this simple and effective grater to grate all of my food ingredients in the various sizes needed (fine or shredded).
- Place 2 cups of water and teaspoon of salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add macaroni to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Grate cheese on shred side of grater and set aside. Grate carrot on shred side of grater and set aside.
- Finely chop spinach, sweet peppers and garlic and set aside.
- Grease Pyrex or other baking dish.Drain water from macaroni once cooked.
- Put back drained macaroni in the empty pot, add carrots, spinach, sweet peppers, garlic and cup of evaporated milk and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheese and the remaining cup of evaporated milk and mix together well.
- Pour out mixture in a greased Pyrex dish or other baking dish.
- Top with remaining 1 Cup of cheese and sprinkle the top with bread or biscuit crumbs.
- Place in oven and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown. (Check after 15 minutes, in first instance, to gauge how much more time is needed for it to cook completely)
- Take a slice and ENJOY!
I have 2 of these measuring cups for measuring out all of my ingredients while cooking.I use 1 for dry ingredients and the other one for liquid ingredients.Saves me having to wash wares unnecessarily.
© 2014 Heidi Vincent