Chia Bread (Bread Machine)
This is the actual recipe that I use for my chia bread. For more information on chia seeds please visit my site on the chia story.
Chia Bread Recipe Ingredients
The recipe for chia bread is just a modification of the basic recipe for bread machine made bread. The advantage is that it actually improves the taste and texture as long as you don't overdo the chia. This bread has all of the nutritional advantages you could hope for and your family will want to eat it!
This is the recipe that I have adapted for a 2 lb. loaf in my Oster bread machine:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp oil (canola or olive oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cups ground chia (from 1/2 cup whole seeds)
- 3 1/3 cups bread flour
- About 2 Tbsp. sugar or honey
- 2 tsp yeast (about 3/4 of a package)
Chia Bread Baking Instructions
- Grind the chia seeds using a blender or a coffee grinder. I use a blender and let it run on high. The ground up seed can tend to stick to the sides of the blender so you may need to use a spatula to get the powder off of the sides (please turn the blender off before doing this however!)
- Mix the ground up chia with the bread flour and set aside.
- Pour the water, oil and salt into the baking pan of the bread machine.
- Pour in the flour and chia mixture.
- Pour in the sugar (or honey).
- Make an indentation in the top of the flour and pour in the yeast.
- I set my machine for 3 hours and a light crust and let it do it's work.
The final product...chia bread
Chia Baking Final Thoughts
The end product is definitely worth the effort. I have seen others mention using as much as a cup of chia to 3 cups of flour. The problem I had with this combination is that the flavor of the chia begins to change the flavor of the bread too much.
I originally used a full packet of yeast but found that the bread rose too far and hit the top of the machine. The middle of the loaf then completely collapsed and the family said that it looked like my bread had been struck by a meteor.
I am determined to find other uses for this versatile seed. I expect most of my success to be in the area of baking since this is one area where I feel that the texture and taste are enhanced by using chia.
Let me know about your experiences with chia and maybe we can get better at this together!