Chicken and Vegetables with Seashell Pasta
Pasta is very popular around our house and we eat it several nights a week. However, we do like to limit the amount of carbohydrates in our diet, so I am always trying to come up with new healthy recipes which include pasta. My Chicken and Vegetables with Seashell Pasta is both satisfying and nutritious, but not carb-heavy. I like to call this type of recipe an "all-in-one" dish". I really like making all-in-one recipes, because on one plate we get our vegetables, protein, and carbohydrates. I always serve a mixed greens salad as the first course, so we get more than one serving of vegetables with our dinner.
In this recipe, I use seashell pasta, but bow tie, penne, or spiral pasta can be used instead. I would not recommend using any string-type pasta, because it makes eating the chicken and vegetables more difficult. I use dried basil in this recipe, because I did not have any fresh basil at the time. When cooking with dried herbs, a smaller amount is needed, which is in contrast to cooking with fresh herbs, when a larger amount is used. I do prefer to use fresh herbs when they are available, and most grocery stores and markets do stock fresh herbs these days.
Finally, I cannot stress enough how important it is to add seasonings (i.e. salt and pepper) to the chicken while it is cooking, preferably at start of the cooking process. Adding your seasonings to the chicken as soon as it begins to cook allows the chicken to absorb the maximum amount of the seasonings. Waiting to add the seasoning to the chicken after the cooking process has completed results in a less flavorful dish, because the seasonings will simply sit on the surface of the food. So, if you want your chicken to have superb flavor, remember to season it during the cooking process, and not afterwards.
My Chicken and Vegetables with Seashell Pasta is a great tasting, but light dinner for pasta lovers who want to eat healthfully. This dish is quick and easy to prepare, making it a perfect for dinner for those busy weeknights. If you are looking for new ways to prepare pasta, and like "all-in-one" recipes, give my Chicken and Vegetables with Seashell Pasta a try!
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: 2
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups seashell pasta
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 15 -20 snow peas, stringed
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Place 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil into large saute pan or skillet.
- Place chopped garlic and basil into saute pan.
- Turn heat to low.
- Allow garlic and dried basil to simmer for 5-10 mins while you chop the vegetables.
- Cook pasta until al dente, or per package instructions.
- String snow peas and cut into smaller pieces on a diagonal angle.
- Chop red bell pepper making sure to remove all of the seeds.
- Remove all fat from chicken breasts, and cut chicken into cubes.
- Add cubed chicken to the saute pan
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper.
- Raise the heat to low-medium.
- Allow chicken to cook approximately 8-10 mins.
- Stir chicken mixture frequently to make sure it cooks thoroughly on all sides.
- Add red bell pepper and snow peas.
- Continue cooking the mixture until the chicken has cooked all the way through.
- Place pasta in serving dish and top with chicken and vegetables.
- Add more salt and olive oil if needed.
- Ready to serve. Happy eating!!