Chicken Masala Curry
This chicken recipe is very easy to make and tasty to eat. Most of my friends - young and old - tend to like this masala curry as it is not too spicy and harsh on the palate. I have experimented with my ideas and drawn on my mother's experience to develop this recipe. Most of the ingredients are readily available in the Indian home and so you don't need to plan in advance. A surprise guest can be taken care with this curry in a jiffy recipe. Even in other parts of the world, the ingredients can be easily procured from any Indian store. The curry goes well with rice.
All images in this lens : © Aster56
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 6
- Chicken 1 kg
- Onions (medium size) 3
- Tomatoes 3
- Fresh cilantro a few sprigs
- Ginger paste 1teaspoon
- Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 2 teaspoons
- Chili powder 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Yoghurt 1 cup
- Lime 1
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Water 1 cup
What is Garam Masala?
Garam masala is simply a mix of select spices that is available in Indian stores.
There are many brands, each having a different combination of spices. I have used Priya garam masala which has the following ingredients: coriander, chilies, cloves, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper
- Wash the chicken and keep it aside.
- Chop the onions into fine slices and grind tomatoes to a paste. Put the yoghurt in the blender and give it a swish so that it does not turn lumpy when added.
- Take a non-stick pan, heat it and add oil. Put the sliced onions and fry till it turns light brown. Now add the ground tomato paste and keep stirring till it throws out the oil. Add the yoghurt and keep stirring till the oil begins to float. Add the ginger and garlic pastes and keep stirring till the raw smell goes. Add the coriander, cumin, chili and turmeric powders and mix well till you get a nice aroma.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well so that the masala is covered well over the chicken. Add a cup of water and salt and cover the pan and allow the chicken to cook on medium flame. Keep stirring now and again so that the chicken does not stick to the bottom.
- Once the chicken is cooked sprinkle garam masala powder and mix. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken curry from the stove and squeeze the juice of one lime over the chicken and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- The chicken masala curry is ready to be served with rice.