- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Meaty Shrimp Stew
Stew Packed With Flavor
Normally when I make a stew it is overflowing with root vegetables, and peas. This one however is a bit different as it is abundant with chicken, pork, and shrimp.
I had boneless chicken breasts in the freezer that I needed to use up, leftover pork loin roast, and thought the shrimp would be a great addition as well.
If not for being on a lower carb diet I would have added cooked rice or perhaps pasta.
Photo source: All photos used in this article are Susan Zutautas.
Let's Get Cooking!
This recipe will serve 4-5 people.
2 Tbs. of Canola or vegetable oil divided
4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 cup of chicken stock or broth
1 tsp. of cilantro dried flakes
Â¼ tsp. of marjoram
Â½ tsp. of lemon pepper
2-3 garlic cloves
1 large can of diced tomatoes
12-16 ounces of cooked, peeled shrimp
Approximately 2 pounds of cooked pork loin roast cut into bite size pieces
1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
1. In a frying pan heat 1 Tbs. of oil and add the chicken breasts, browning them on both sides.
2. In a Dutch oven or 6 quart sauce pot add and heat 1 Tbs. of oil. Add the chopped onions and green pepper, and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes.
3. When the chicken is ready remove it from the pan and cut it into bite size pieces.
4. To the Dutch oven or sauce pot add 1 cup of chicken broth, cilantro, marjoram, and lemon pepper, and the chicken. Using a garlic press add the garlic to the mixture, stir and cook over medium high heat. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes.
5. Add the canned tomatoes and stir.
6. Next add the cooked peeled shrimp along with the pork and stir.
7. Stir the black beans into the stew, and cook until the beans are heated.
8. Serve and Enjoy!
Cooking the Stew
© 2013 Susan Zutautas