Chilled Shrimp Pasta Salad
This recipe makes a delicious side food for a gathering at a grillout or picnic. Shrimp Pasta Salad, is a classic comfort food in a salad. Its main ingredients are shrimp, hard-cooked eggs, and pasta in a creamy tangy sauce mix. Serve it chilled. Because of the ingredients it is best kept on ice at an outdoor gathering.
This recipe is one I have had for years and was one of my childrens favorites when growing up. I have lightened up on the mayo and actually do not worry about the eggs, as many doctors have rebutted claims that eggs are harmful for cholestero. Eggs are gaining back their reputation as a healthy food. (Of course, this is not medical advice.) I use cocktail sauce with no corn syrup and healthier ingredients. If you can find it, a good one is Skippers.
This recipe has just a few ingredients. You could easily add more if desired. This pasta salad is simple to make with ingredients you could keep stocked in your pantry and refrigerator. It makes a medium-large bowlful for a family, and is a nice size to share at a potluck.
If you like pasta and the other individual ingredients, then you will enjoy this salad. We think it is pretty tasty and is delicious the next day or two for another meal.
Ingredients For Chilled Shrimp Pasta Salad:
- 2 cups dry pasta, your choice, (I used elbow macaroni and mini rotini, this time. Or try adding small-medium shell pasta.)
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Cocktail Sauce, (I used Skippers brand.)
- 14-ounce can shrimp, or cooked peeled salad shrimp, (I used canned Bumblebee Tiny Premium shrimp.)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced onion
- Cook macaroni or other pasta "al dente"or another couple minutes for tenderness, according to package instructions.
- Rinse with cool water and drain.
- Pour pasta into a medium size salad bowl and chill while continuing.
- In a small bowl , mix mayonnaise and cocktail sauce.
- Chop up 3 hard-boiled eggs.
- Rinse and drain tiny shrimp.
- Combine sauce mixture with pasta and stir.
- Add eggs, shrimp and minced onion.
- Stir again.
- Keep chilled.
How Do You Like This Shrimp Pasta Salad?
I would like to try this covered bowl. It has a place for ice. It is so perfect for this salad.