- Food and Cooking
Chocolate and Orange Suet Roll
This roll has a crispy brown outside and a moist chocolate center. The bitter-sweetness of the orange sauce complements the richness of the filling.
For the filling:
* 225 grams suet pastry
* 215 grams plain chocolate
* grated zest (rind) and juice of 1 orange
* 50 grams granulated sugar
For the orange sauce:
* 3 tablespoons (45 ml) medium-cut marmalade
* 150 ml diluted frozen orange juice
* a squeeze of lemon juice
* Heat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
* Break the chocolate into small pieces and put them into a bowl. Add the grated orange zest and freshly squeezed orange juice.
* Set the bowl on a trivet in a saucepan half filled with hot (not boiling) water and stir the ingredients with a fork until melted.
* Remove the bowl from the saucepan and allow filling to cool. Then place it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, or until thick.
* While the filling is thickening, prepare the pastry. Place it on a lightly floured surface and roll out to a rectangle 20 x 25 cm. Trim the edges of the dough neatly with a sharp knife.
* Spread the thick chocolate mixture to within 1 cm of the pastry edges. Sprinkle the sugar over the filling.
* Turn in the edges of the pastry, fold the corners neatly and roll up from one short edge.
* Oil a large piece of kitchen foil. Wrap and seal the suet roll in it, leaving room inside the parcel for the pastry to expand.
* Place on a baking tray and cook for 1 1/4 hours, unwrapping the top 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time to brown.
* About 15 minutes before the end of cooking time for the pudding, start preparing the orange sauce. Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 to 12 minutes. When the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened, pour into a sauce-boat and keep hot.
* Remove the baked roll from the oven. Unwrap completely, turn on to a hot plate and serve immediately.
Instead of an orange and chocolate filling, try one of the following:
* Mincemeat with a little chopped stem ginger mixed into it.
* Black treacle and 25 grams of candied peel.
* Golden syrup plus 1 teaspoon (5 ml) grated orange or lemon zest (peel).