Chocolate and Raspberry Toasted Sandwich
This delicious toasted sandwich treat combines three of my favourite tastes: nutella chocolate spread, raspberries and mascarpone. The mascarpone lightens the nutella, and gives it a tasty and creamy texture. Using coconut oil on the outside of the bread slices helps to brown the surface and gives a subtle coconut flavor to the finished sandwich. If you don't have coconut oil or don't like coconuts, you could use butter - it will still be delicious.
You can serve this toasted sandwich for breakfast, or as a snack during the day or evening.
For the Valentine's Day version of the sandwich in the photo, I used a thin slice of chocolate cake to make a heart shape, but it could be cut out of a darker bread.
You can, of course, vary the ingredients to suit what you have available. Here are some variations:
1) if you don't have fresh raspberries, you could use raspberry jelly
2) how about nutella, plain yoghurt and raspberries?
3) for a more sophisticated flavour, try nutella, brie and raspberries
4) and for fans of white chocolate, try sweet melted white chocolate, with cinnamon and raspberries
- 2 slices of white bread
- 1 slice of dark bread or chocolate cake (optional)
- nutella or other chocolate spread
- 8 raspberries for filling
- coconut oil or butter
- for decoration:
- additional fruit like raspberries, blueberries or strawberries
- Spread coconut oil or butter thinly on one side of each slice of white bread
- Carefully cut out a small heart shape from the slice of dark bread or cake (optional)
- Stick the heart shape to the oiled side of a white bread slice (optional)
- Put the bread slices oil-side down and then cover the with chocolate spread - if it is warm, it will spread better
- Spread a layer of mascarpone over the chocolate
- Carefully place one slice of bread, oil side down, in diablo or sandwich toaster. Try to keep the heart shape in the middle.
- Top with rasperries or strawberries
- Add the second slice of bread, oil side up
- Carefully close the diablo or sandwich toaster, without dislodging the heart shape
- With a Diablo, toast 1.5 minutes each side
- Serve with love
The Diablo sandwich toaster is suitable for indoor and outdoor use, and can be used with savory and sweet fillings. It can also be used to make pies!
Make delicious toasted pocket sandwiches or crispy waffles with this easy clean sandwich and waffle maker. It has two sets of removable plates, which are non-stick and dishwasher safe.
These shaped cookie cutters are useful for cutting shapes to decorate your toasted sandwiches.
12-piece Easter mini cookie cutter set by Wilton - decorate your toasted sandwiches with fun Easter motifs or even make some cookies! Includes bunny face, egg, sun, carrot, chick, flower, sprinkling can, bunny, and more. Each metal cutter measures approximately 1-1/2 inches and has exceptional definition to make sharp, clean incisions into dough.