Chocolate and Zucchini
Zucchini and Chocolate - the match made in heaven
Are you a chocolate fan but would love to find ways to enjoy your vegetables while you are at it? Or perhaps you have a few too many zucchini in your patch? On this page you will find some of the best recipes you have eaten in ages and the ingredients include... you guessed it!
Chocolate and Zucchini!
This is what I did this weekend - make chocolate chip zucchini cookies adapted from Barbara Kingsolver's fascinating book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. We have been experimenting with Zucchini and Chocolate lately, but these cookies are fantastic. The sugar used is honey, with a tiny amount of regular sugar. There is plenty of zucchini in it, and once you add your favorite chocolate chips, even zucchini hating kids will be begging for more. (Just don't tell them there is zucchini in it before they try one!)
All photos copyright Elyn MacInnis, and if you link back to my site you are welcome to use them.
Barbara Kingsolver's book - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - has the best recipe!
This book details outstanding novelist Barbara Kingsolver and her family's journey to get off the grocery store corporate bandwagon and go back to eating locally and living off the food that they grew themselves.
In the spring, Kingsolver planted zucchini and squash, and was overwhelmed by the summer harvest. Her book has a charming section on the dilemma of her enormous pile of zucchini and the desperate measures she considered (including buying a hog to eat the excess) to cope with the harvest. The zucchini chocolate chip cookies were the invention of her older daughter, who wiped out several zucchini making a hundred cookies for her sister's birthday party. This recipe is a real keeper. We have already made it several times.
There are two things I liked about this recipe. One is that honey is the major sweetener. The other is that there is plenty of nutmeg in them, and that adds the mysterious layer of fragrance that makes people go crazy for them.
Serves: Makes about 2-3 dozen depending on size
- PUT INTO A BOWL TOGETHER AND BEAT
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter
- Add 1/2 cup dark brown suger
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- THE DRY INGREDIENTS GO INTO ANOTHER BOWL
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- ADD TO THE LIQUID INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini
- 8 to 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Put the liquid ingredients in one bowl, and the dry in another. Then slowly mix the two together until all the flour is mixed well with the other ingredients.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet, or onto greased parchment.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for 12- 15 minutes. After they have cooled, you will find that these are relatively cake-like cookies, but that the fragrance is especially fine, and that the chocolate is a delightful addition to the zucchini.
Oh those zucchini!
Chocolate Zucchini CAKE -- recipes from around the web
It is rather amazing to me that there is so much interest in chocolate and zucchini cakes. It seems to be very fashionable at the moment, but i have to say that moist chocolate cakes are nicer than dry ones, and maybe that is why. Zucchini is a fantastic addition to a cake to make it moist and tender.
- Moist and Fudgey Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Sandy at allrecipes.com
"This is a moist fudgy type cake. Sweet but not extremely sweet and makes good use of zucchini! You can frost it with chocolate frosting or cream cheese icing."
- VEGAN version - Magical chocolate zucchini cake
I think anyone would love this - but it also happens to be vegan. The originator of this recipe said her kids declared it was "magical!"
- Chocolate zucchini cake from King Arthur's flour site, easy and quick
This recipe only takes 15-20 minutes to make. and 35 minutes to bake. In one of the reviews, a grandma reported that her fussy grandson told her, after eating a bite of the cake, "please give this recipe to my Mom!"
Zucchini Bread recipes - with chocolate, of course
We all know that zucchini bread is wonderful, but did you know there are lots of recipes for zucchini bread that include chocolate?
- Chocolate chip zucchini bread by Paula Dean, from recipes.com
This recipe has more than 100 reviews, and the rating is 5.0. I think you might want to try it!
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe from joyofbaking.com
Chocolate Zucchini Bread has a moist texture and the deep chocolate flavor which comes from unsweetened cocoa powder and semi sweet chocolate chips.
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe from King Arthur's Flour site,
Moist and flavorful. This one got the most stars, and has the added bonus of being dairy free.
- VEGAN chocolate banana zucchini bread
Chocolate Bananas and Zucchini? If you like these three by themselves, you will like this bread. It tends to be gooey in the middle. I love that.
Chocolate and Zucchini - Yes! It is a book! And a blog!
Clotilde Dusoulier came from Paris to San Francisco after university and loved the food. When she went home, her mind was opened to a new way of cooking, and her blog, ChocolateAndZucchini.com became very popular on the web. She has stories of her culinary life back home in France, as well as recipes, inspirations, and visits to restaurants.