Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Chocolate Frosting
The cupcake craze doesn't seem to be going anywhere yet and that's good news for cupcake fans. Major U.S. cities are filled with "cupcakeries" and more seem to be popping up every year. And who doesn't love a good cupcake? I've always loved cupcakes and living in Tokyo doesn't give me many choices. Unfortunately, the cupcake craze hasn't really caught on here in Japan. There are two cupcake shops that I know of that serve pretty decent cupcakes, but neither are spectacular and having tasted cupcakes from both places, they are nothing to write home about. So when I plan holidays to American cities, I do some serious research on where to find some of the best cupcakeries in town.
In search of the best cupcakes
Last December, I visited my family in Honolulu, Hawaii where they boast a dozen or so cupcakeries. After doing my research and with some old-fashioned luck ( I couldn't find one shop and the other was closed ), I ended up visiting two and although I didn't have a chance to eat my four $3.50US-a-piece cupcakes I purchased at one place ( when I got back home and opened the box, the cupcakes had rolled around and ended up playing twister with each other ), I has success with a nice chocolate cupcake from the second shop.
In fact, that chocolate cupcake was incredibly yummy, I found myself craving for some again. Since I'm now back in Tokyo, I had no other choice but to make some of my own. For cakes, I don't mind using boxed mixes, but for cupcakes, I prefer to make them from scratch. And when it comes to chocolate cupcakes, I'm pretty darn picky-they have to be perfect with absolutely no trace of imitation after-taste.
Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes for any Occasion
Now I don't usually bake 2 dozen cupcakes for myself, but since Valentine's Day is just around the corner, I figure why not! After piping my frosting on, I decorated them with some chocolate hearts and silver candy beads for some sparkle. These chocolate cupcakes are pretty rich decadent making them perfect for any occasion.
*Photo credit : Chocolate cupcakes taken by myself
Other cupcakes you might enjoy!
- Matcha Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting
- Sugar & Gluten Free Strawberry Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cupcakes with Fresh Berries
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
- Yields: 24 regular-sized cupcakes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
I got this for my birthday this year and I am thrilled with it. Cakes and cupcakes instantly look better served in this glass cake stand.
The lid can also be inverted, letting you use it as a punch bowl. Ingenious!
- Let's make the cupcakes. Preheat oven to 350F. Put paper baking cups into 24 regular-sized muffin cups.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the hot water and cocoa until dissolved.
- In another large bowl, beat softened butter until smooth. Gradually add sugar beating well and occasionally scraping the bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Add flour mixture and cocoa in 2-3 batches. Beat until just blended.
- Fill each baking cup with mixture 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely.
- Let's make the frosting. In a large bowl, mix butter and chocolate together. Stir in the powdered sugar.
- Mix in the vanilla and milk until smooth.
- If frosting is too thick, add a little milk very little at a time until spreadable.
- If frosting is too thin, add a small amount of powdered sugar.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate as desired.
Did You Enjoy This Recipe?
What I like about this book is that it gives you the option of using a cake mix or making the cupcakes from scratch. Recipes include favorites like Red Velvet but also has some newer flavors such as Orange Soda and Mango Jalapeno. The ultimate cupcake cookbook.