- Food and Cooking
Chocolate Empanadas with Bananas
Banana and Chocolate Empanadas
How to Make Chocolate and Banana Empanadas
I love Mexican food, and my most favourite of all the Mexican desserts recipes has to be the sweet Mexican empanadas, in particular this one!
Bananas and chocolate both make great dessert ingredients, and this recipe for Chocolate Empanadas with banana is just divine! Have fun with filo pastry and make a delicious international dessert at the same time.
There are various ways to make these empanadas, ranging from easy recipes using filo pastry to making your own authentic empanada dough.
In this lens, learn how to make easy Banana and Chocolate Empanadas and find a selection of the best alternative recipes too!
What are Empanadas?
An empanada is a Spanish or Portuguese stuffed bread or pastry, and can be sweet or savory. It is named after the Spanish verb empanar, which means to coat or wrap in bread.
Chocolate Empanadas with Bananas: - What you Need to Make Them!
- Filo pastry - 8 sheets approx. I use Jus-Rol filo sheets
- 2 ripe bananas
- 200g plain chocolate (broken into small pieces)
- 2 tsp sugar
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- Melted butter (for brushing the pastry)
- Icing sugar and ground cinnamon (for dusting)
Banana and Chocolate Empanadas:
How to Make Them
This is how I make my chocolate and banana empanadas. I make mine with filo pastry but you can also make empanada dough to encase your filling, or use pie crusts - you can find recipes for these in the links list further down the page.
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C/375 F/Gas Mark 5
2. Cut your filo pastry sheets in half lengthways, then lay one in front of you at a time and brush with the butter
3. Peel your ripe bananas and slice into a bowl, adding the sugar and lemon juice and stirring well until combined. (Cheat's tip: if you don't often cook with lemons, you can buy cook's lemon juice in a squeezy bottle and store it in the cupboard for ages, which is what I used to do before I did a lot of cooking. Add as much or as little as you feel necessary, depending on how much you like the taste of lemon!)
4. Break up your chocolate into small pieces and stir into the banana mix
5. Put approx 2 teaspoons of the mixture into one corner of the pastry, then fold over into a triangular shape, encasing the filling. Continue folding until the filling is complete wrapped up by the filo.
6, Dust your wrapped parcel with icing sugar and cinnamon (I personally love cinnamon so tend to be quite liberal with my dusting on some of them, leaving some less cinnamon-y for my fiancé who's not so fond!)
7. Place on a baking tray or sheet and repeat the process with the rest of the filo sheets
8. Bake for around 15 minutes, until they are golden brown. They should be served hot, but watch your mouth on the super-hot filling!
More Easy Chocolate and Banana Empanadas Recipes
- Chocolate-Banana Empanadas with Empanada Dough Recipe
How to make empanada dough using masa harina as well as the chocolate and banana filling
- Chocolate Banana Empanada Recipe
Another variation of the masa harina empanada dough recipe with filling
- Mexican Chocolate and Banana Empanadas Recipe
This yummy variation from an authentic Latin chef has the added ingredient of whipped cream!
- Banana Empanadas
This 5-star rated recipe uses pie crusts to make this version of the dessert
- Nutella Banana Empanadas
Fancy trying something different with your empanadas? This recipe uses the hazelnut spread Nutella in the recipe instead of chocolate!
- Banana Empanadas Recipe
Slightly different once again, using raisins in the empanadas. Take note of the comments and add lemon juice to the bananas though
Make Mexican Empanadas, Desserts and More!
Please leave your comments and feedback here! Thank you for reading