Give Me Hershey Chocolate Kisses
Bite Size Drops of Chocolate Delight
Hershey's brand chocolate is a my favorite brand of commonly available chocolate. Sure I love Godiva, but who can afford that every day of the year? Now on the other hand, Hersheys are sold at every grocery store and the Kisses are the ones that help celebrate in style. They make the wrappers in all sorts of holiday colors, and now new flavors.
Call me old fashioned, though, the originals are always my favorite.
I was intrigued by the fact that Hershey Kisses pop up in all sort of ways.... not all edible. They are an American icon of pure delicious sweetness, in a chocolate flavor and a shiny wrapper.
For those who love cookies made with chocolate kisses- be sure to scroll down to see the recipe.
A Morsel of History
The Chocolate Drop Shape Was Genius
To pair up the chocolate drop shape with the delicious milk chocolate in a satisfying bite size shape was genius. It has now become an icon that almost everyone recognizes. Transferring its shape to the wide range of things from jewelry to fondue sets means that a message that only chocolate can give transfers with it.
People identify a gift with the distinctive Hershey Kiss shape with a little bit of luxury, a lot of good memories, and a bit of romance. Probably because we are used to finding these candies in our Christmas stockings, attached to Valentine's gifts, and personalized for wedding favors.
It was genius in marketing, and the longevity of its popularity has only increased the cachet of these bite sized chocolates.
Hershey Kiss Facts
- *People at the Hershey's Company believe that Kisses were given their name because of the sound that is made when the candy is produced. The machine makes a very distinct smooching sound when the candy is manufactured.
- *95 Kisses make one pound
- *Manufactured since 1907
- *There are kiss shaped lights which line Chocolate Avenue in the town of Hershey,107 total - 55 wrapped and 52 unwrapped.
- *Macadamia nut Hershey Kisses from the Mauna Loa company, available only in Hawaii.
Wrapped For Holidays
and other information...
"Special machines drop a precise amount of chocolate onto a moving steel belt and then quickly cool it to form the famous kiss shape. Hershey's makes more than 80 million Kisses Brand Chocolates every day at its chocolate factories in Hershey, PA and Virginia. " -chocolate.wikia.com
Kosher Status: OU-D
Serving Size: 9 pieces (41.00 g)
Total Calories 200
Calories from Fat 100
Amount Per Serving %DV *
Total Fat 12 g 18%
Saturated Fat 7 g 35%
Cholesterol 10 mg 3%
Sodium 35 mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 25 g 8%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 4%
Sugars 23 g
Sugar Alcohols 0%
Protein 3 g
Vitamin C 0%
Try this Recipe
Featuring a center of pure chocolatey goodness, this is a favorite flavor combination which stars in cookies exchanges.
A Drop Of Trivia
Before 1921, 'Kisses' Chocolates were wrapped by hand, afterward machines were used and the tissue plume added. Milton S. Hershey obtained a registered trademark for the iconic plume extending out of the wrapper in 1924.
Some of this information was obtained from the Hershey site.
A similar candy known as 'Wilbur Buds' made since 1893 are thought to be the inspiration for the Hershey kisses chocolate drops.
About Milton S. Hershey, the Inventor of Hershey Kisses
Milton S. Hershey left school at the age of 14 to start an apprenticeship. After a failed first try at apprenticing to another profesion, he became an apprentice to a candymaker. At 18 he opened his first candy business, in Philadelphia.
Oatmeal Blossom Ingredients
- 1 Hershey Kisses, bag
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups Quick Oats
- 1 cup Walnuts, chopped
- Unwrap all Hershey Kiss candies
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Using mixer, beat butter, shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs; beat well.
- Stir together the day ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture, beating until well blended
- Add the rolled oats and nuts, blend in.
- Shape dough into rounded teaspoons of 1-inch balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake until light brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and *immediately* place the chocolate kiss in the center of each cookie, lightly pressing into soft cookie.
Rate This Recipe
Kisses and Inspirations - ...the real thing
Get an extra large amount so you can bake all those dozens of cookies that your guests and family will be clamoring for, or to serve at weddings and parties, any event that requires lots of Hershey's Kisses.
Crafts Made With Hersheys Kisses
Make These DIY Wedding Favors For Your Guests
Cute favors to make for parties- a sleeve that holds four candies.
Wedding Favors With A Sweet Surprise
Valentine's Day Kiss
The best kind?
There are some who would argue with you, for instance, did you know you can get chocolate kisses personalized? They are a popular wedding favor.
And not just a wedding event, but any type of special party... like anniversaries or a landmark birthday.
Make A Valentine's Mouse
A chocolate kiss just says "Love", doesn't it?