- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Decadent, Delicious and Dangerous Chocolate Mug Cake Recipes
Chocolate Cake in a Mug
Bake a Chocolate Mug Cake in Minutes
Chocolate Mug Cake recipes are considered to be the most dangerous recipe in the world, because with this simple recipe, the ingredients (which are often around the house) and a microwave you are only a few minutes away from experiencing true chocolate bliss.
The ease of making a chocolate mug cake makes them an ideal cake recipe to use to celebrate Chocolate Cake Day on January 27 or any other day you want to just celebrate chocolate.
These mug cakes can be a welcome afternoon or late night snack, anytime you want to eat cake. I have to admit that I did fix myself a mug of chocolate cake while working on this page. It was just too tempting looking at all of these easy to make chocolate cakes.
Chocolate Cake to Eat in Minutes = Instant Bliss
Vote on Eating Chocolate Cake in a Mug
What do you think about Chocolate Mug Cake?
For Chocolate Lovers Every Day is Chocolate Cake Day
Chocolate Cake with Ice Cream
Konitz Chocolate Mugs
Use these Konitz chocolate mugs for hot chocolate or for baking some chocolate mug cakes.
To Bake a Cocoa Cake You Just Need a Mug...
and maybe a little bit of ice cream
5 Minute Chocolate Cake
Celebrate Chocolate Cake Day Everyday!
Chocolate mug cake is a quick and easy way to celebrate chocolate cake on National Chocolate Cake or any other day.
As true chocoholics know eating chocolate is something we like to do much of the time. According to the that their motto is "Eating chocolate only on days with a 'T' in it. Like Today and Tomorrow." National Chocoholic Society Mug
Another thing I like about the cake in a mug concept is that you are baking smaller amounts, which helps in portion control and not going overboard on calories.
The recipe is easy, but be forewarned that if your children or teens find out, they may be baking chocolate mug cake a lot.
Can't you just smell this delicious and decadent chocolate cake just by looking at the picture?
Chocolate Loving Pig Mug
Reads "Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt"
5 Minutes to Bliss Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
Chocolate Mug Cake
Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
This recipe for chocolate cake in a mug makes a generous serving for one or a smaller serving for two, if you want to share (and have fewer calories).
Some of the ways to vary the recipe are included in the instructions others in the next section. You can vary the flour, sugar source and oil (or applesauce) source.
Since cooking times may vary be patient as you try the first few times.
Adapted from Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Mug Cake for Two
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar or packet of Stevia
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or oil or applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons 60% chocolate chips
- 1 large microwavable mug
- If you want to have little clean up, mix the ingredients carefully in the mug. You can also whisk the ingredients together in a bowl and transfer them into the mug for cooking.
- If you want to serve the mug cake on a dish instead of the mug, spray with cooking spray before starting.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add in milk, butter, oil or applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Beat the egg lightly and add to the mixture.
- Add in chocolate chips. If you want them mixed into the batter, mix. If you want them just on the top, sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Cover with microwave wrap if you don't want a mess.
- For a gooey cake - microwave on medium for 1 minute, check and then microwave for another 30 seconds. This will give you a moist center.
- For a cooked cake - microwave for 3 minutes. Cooking times may vary.
- Allow to cool and eat.
- You can eat the cake directly from the mug or turn it onto a plate.
Making Your Own 5 Minute Mug Cake Recipe
100 % Cacao Cocoa Powder
Changing the Basic Chocolate Cake Mug Recipe
I tend to cook with a basic recipe and then change it up as I am going along.
Make sure you start with good baking quality cocoa powder for the richest recipe.
Here are some of the ways to change up this chocolate mug recipe and make your own signature mug recipe.
Scharffen Berger Cocoa Powder
- Flour - Regular all purpose flour or your favorite gluten-free flour
- Sweetener - White sugar, brown sugar, molasses, honey, stevia
- Oil - Canola oil, applesauce, canned pumpkin
- Extracts - Vanilla, peppermint, almond
- Spices - Cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice, cardamon
- Extras - Chocolate chips, sliced almonda, powdered sugar sprinkled on top, crushed up candy canes
Don't forget the Vanilla Extract
Real vanilla extract makes the recipe taste much richer.
Bake Cake in a Mug
Watch how to make cake in a mug from sortedfoods.
Chocolate Cake in a Mug - Video Recipe
Changing the Mug Cake Recipe
If you changed the chocolate mug cake recipe and got a delicious result, please leave your recipe changes below. Thanks.
Chocolate Almond Mug Cake - Video
More Chocolate Mug Cake Recipes
Different versions of the Chocolate Mug Cake recipe including gluten-free one, a paleo version and recipes with nutella.
Chocolate Snuggle Mug
A snuggle mug perfect for baking a chocolate mug cake.
More Cake in a Mug Recipes
- Chocolate Molten Lava Cake - in the Microwave!
Warning: the dessert you are about to create and consume is extremely chocolatey. It will kill your chocolate craving really fast.
- Molten Mug Chocolate Cake
This decadent chocolate cake recipe is perfect for a late night treat. Add a dollop of peanut butter in the middle for an added bonus!
- Chocolate Mug Cake for Two | Recipes | Nigella Lawson
You could make this in a bowl and then pour the batter into microwave-proof dishes/mugs or you can halve the ingredients into each mug.
- Quick Cake in a Mug - aka Five Minute Chocolate Cake | The Pink Peppercorn
Let's face it, sometimes we just need cake. And we just can't wait any longer than five minutes. This version uses coconut oil.
- Rich Decadent 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake | The Dessert Spot
This post goes out to all the chocolate lovers.All the "I want a piece of chocolate" peeps.The "You know what sounds good right now? …A brownie."
- Gluten-free Two Minute Mug Brownie | Family Kitchen
A quick, stir-together two minute mug brownie, made gluten free.
- Chocolate Cake In 5 Minutes! | Dizzy Dee
5 minute chocolate cake recipe in a mug.
- Nutella Mug Cake | Family Kitchen
A quick and easy recipe for the perfect chocolate mug cake: Nutella mug cake.
- Moist! Low-calorie Microwave Protein Fudge Muffins | SmoothieGirlEatsToo
I was a bit hungry and craving something sweet and fast. So I grabbed a few random items from the pantry and the fridge. Little did I know that the skies would part and the angels would sing in about 3 minutes.
- Make Cake in a Mug - Wired How-To Wiki
With Cake in a Mug, you can have a hot, delicious, fresh-baked chocolate cake in minutes! And all it takes is a microwave, some hot chocolate mix, and a couple of ingredients you've probably got in your kitchen.
- Paleo Chocolate Mug Cake
Learn how to make a Paleo Chocolate Mug Cake recipe.
Bake a Cocoa Cake "To Go"
Chocolate Travel Mug
Find out how to stay sane with chocolate and take it with you.
Enjoying your Chocolate Mug Cake?
Chocolate Mug Cakes for Two
My Daughters's Response to Chocolate Cake Mug
The morning after I finished up writing the Chocolate Cake Mug page, I made the mistake of telling my daughters about the page and my experimenting making chocolate mug cake. We ended up having chocolate cake for breakfast.
Fortunately they listened and instead of fixing two mugs, they fixed one mug to share between them.
They topped it with a bit of vanilla frozen yogurt and decided it was delicious, very satiating (filling) and satisfying, so ate ~ 3/4 and put the rest away in the fridge to eat later.
With the protein from the egg and fiber from the cocoa this recipe is pretty filling. The girls said it was because it made with real chocolate.
Now if they'd fixed a chocolate cake or eaten the ones we'd gotten from IKEA last weekend @ 480 calories per slice, both of them would have eaten an entire slice and gone back for more.
Looks like we've got a chocolate craving winner.
Celebrate National Chocolate Cake Day - January 27
Steps for Celebrating Chocolate Cake Day
There are three main steps one needs to take to celebrate National Chocolate Cake Day:
- Find a Chocolate Cake Recipe.
- Bake a Chocolate Cake.
- Eat a Chocolate Cake.
More about Chocolate Cake Day
More articles about National Chocolate Day.
Chocolate Cake Day - January 27
- National Chocolate Cake Day, January 27 - Food.com
Celebrate National Chocolate Cake Day on January 27 and every food holiday all year with recipes and ideas from Food.com.
- Holiday Insights : Chocolate Cake Day
Chocolate Cake Day is a a chocolate lovers delight, and a day to eat cake.
- Jan. 27 is National Chocolate Cake Day | CSMonitor.com
Celebrate National Chocolate Cake Day with a simple chocolate sheet cake recipe.
- 100 Chocolate Cakes for Chocolate Cake Day – January 27
We’re apologizing to your waistline in advance. Today is Chocolate Cake Day. And that’s probably all we need to say about that. Here are 100 of our editors’ favorite chocolate cakes on TasteSpotting.
- Chocolate Cake Day | The Pastry Chef's Baking:
I haven't had any further time (or eating audience) to bake anymore this week but in honor of National Chocolate Cake Day, a day I can get behind anytime, I thought I'd post this easy and awesome chocolate cake recipe.
- Celebrate Chocolate Cake Day! | Hello Giggles
Today, have your cake and celebrate it too! January 27th is National Chocolate Cake Day, so in my opinion, everyone's allowed to cheat on their New Year's
- Our Best Chocolate Cake Recipes (PHOTOS) | Huffington Post
We're celebrating our love for chocolate with 12 of our ultimate chocolate cake recipes. Whether you're addicted to chocolate or just a cake lover, these recipes will satisfy your cravings.
- Our favorite recipes for National Chocolate Cake Day | latimes.com
Today is National Chocolate Cake Day -- as if we needed an excuse to indulge. To celebrate, we're sharing some of our favorite recipes for rich, satisfying chocolate cake.
- JANUARY 27, 2014 | NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CAKE DAY | National Day Calendar
National Chocolate Cake Day
5 Minute Chocolate Cake Gone in 5 Minutes
Our Name is Mud Chocolate Mug
Reads "Chocolate is better than sex and you can't get pregnant."
More Chocolate Recipes
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipe
According to the official royal wedding website, It appears that there will be not one, but two cakes at the upcoming Royal Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton.
- Healthy Hot Chocolate Recipes
Hot chocolate or Hot cocoa is a drink that warms the body and also the spirit. While the warmth of this chocolaty drink thaws out the hands, the taste of chocolate melts the spirit.
- Make Hot Chocolate with Hot Chocolate Machines
Nearly everyone likes to curl up with a hot mug of cocoa on cold Fall and Winter nights. To make a good cup of hot chocolate you need a good recipe and you also need a way to make the hot chocolate.
Are you ready for chocolate cake now?
Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
© 2013 Kirsti A. Dyer