- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Coconut Pecan Pie Recipe
Decadent Chocolate Pie
November 29th is National Chocolates Day, which is one day after my 26th wedding anniversary this year. In honor of chocolates day I thought it would be nice to make a few chocolate pies. I will be making another one for our anniversary and will be posting it, so check back after the 28th of the month if you'd like some new dessert recipes.
The following recipe is not my own but one that a friend gave me a few years ago to try. I was going through some recipes today and as soon as I found this one I knew it would be perfect to go along with dinner tonight.
Knowing how much my husband loves coconut it's sure to be a big hit as not only does it have coconut in it but pecans as well.
Photo source: All photos that you see here are the property of the author Susan Zutautas. If you'd like to copy or borrow them please do not do so without getting written permission first.
Whenever I am cooking I like to get all my ingredients out and together before starting. This way I'm not in the middle of a recipe only to discover I don't have one of the needed items to complete the recipe.
For this pie I used a frozen pie shell. I'm not the best pastry maker and find that these are easy to use. This pie would also be great in a graham cracker pie shell or even a chocolate pie shell.
Cool whip with shaved chocolate as a topper on the pie would be a very nice addition.
Please not that my oven tends to cook faster than most so you may need to leave the pie baking for a bit longer than what I did.
- 3/4 of a cup of packed brown sugar
- 3/4 of a cup of corn syrup
- 4 squares of semi-sweet chocolate (I used Bakers)
- 6 Tbs. of butter
- 3 eggs (not shown in the picture)
- 1 1/3 cups of flaked coconut
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1 9 " pie shell unbaked at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350Â° F.
- In a microwavable bowl combine the brown sugar and corn syrup. Place into the microwave and cook on high for 4 minutes or until boiling.
- Remove the bowl and add the chocolate squares along with the butter stirring until the chocolate are completely melted. Cool for a few minutes.
- Beat each egg in a small bowl one by one, and stir into the chocolate mixture.
- Next add the coconut and stir. Stir in the pecans and then pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- I put the pie into a glass pie plate just in case it boiled over. It didn't but it's always better to be safe than to be cleaning up a mess in your oven.
- Carefully place the pie into the oven and bake for 48 minutes or until you can insert a knife into the middle of the pie and have it come out clean.
- Remove when baked and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve and ENJOY!
Photo Tutorial - Making a Coconut Pecan Chocolate PieClick thumbnail to view full-size
A clip out of one of my favorite movies - My, my, me oh my, I love pie!!
Don't forget to celebrate National Chocolates Day on November 29th.
© 2013 Susan Zutautas