- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Chocolate White Chocolate Pie Recipe
White Chocolate Pie With A Chocolate Crust
Yummy and easy. It looks fancy, but it's oh so easy to make.
Different layers in different consistencies lend an interesting "chew" to this pie. First there is the crumbly chocolate crust, then the dense white chocolate layer. That's topped with a crushed chocolate cookie layer and then the fluffy white chocolate pudding.
If you desire you may make this look ultra fancy and professional by trimming it with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Get Ready To Melt Chocolate
Have the right equipment
In order to keep the mixture from burning, melt the candy in a double boiler.
If you don't have a double boiler set a smaller pot inside a larger pot of water. I used a 3 quart pot inside a 4 quart. A 2 quart and 3 quart would also work.
Be careful to only put and inch or so of water in the larger pot. You don't want it to boil up and splash and burn you. You just want to keep the upper pot from touching the heat source directly.
Use a large cooking spoon, rather than a short handled tablespoon. A wooden spoon works well. This will keep your arms from being burned from any escaping steam
Chocolate White Chocolate Pie
As with all my other recipes, this requires only a few ingredients. Many are ready made. It's quick and easy.
The photos show that I used a prepared Oreo cookie crust. A regular chocolate cookie crust is just as good.
For the chocolate layer you may use either chocolate cookies . Oreos may be used, but when I use them, I prefer to scrape the filling out. With the filling in the chocolate layer becomes too overpoweringly sweet. But.......if you think you like it that way, leave it in.
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 2 hours
- Yields: 6 to 8
- 1 prepared chocolate cookie crust
- 6 ounces white morsels
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package white chocolate pudding
- 1 cup crumbled chocolate cookies (about 12 chocolate wafers)
- 2 cups of milk (approximately) to prepare the pudding
- Place the white chocolate morsels in the top pot with the condensed milk.* Melt the morsels, stirring occasionally. (I have never been able to get them to melt entirely. When they are greatly reduced, about a half hour, I give up. It doesn't seem to affect the taste. )
- When the morsels are sufficiently melted, pour them into the prepared chocolate cookie crust. Cover the pie crust and place in the refrigerator until the white chocolate hardens. About a 1/2 hour.
- Place the cookies in a plastic or paper bag and crush. I used the heel of my hand. You could use a big cooking spoon and press down on it with your hand or a rolling pin. You want the cookie pieces to be 1/4 to 1/2 in size --not completely pulverized.
- Spread the crumbled cookies on top of the hardened white chocolate layer.
- Prepare the pudding according to package instructions and spread it on top of the cookie crumb layer.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to let the pudding gel (or however, long your pudding package indicates).
- *Although the recipe calls for 1/2 a package of white morsels and 1/2 a can of condensed milk, I usually make the whole thing. I use half for the pie and I make the rest into White Chocolate Candies. See the recipe below.
Step by step pictures for making the pieClick thumbnail to view full-size
Make a great presentation.
I will show you how to make chocolate slivers easily with potato peeler
- Prep time: 10 min
- Ready in: 10 min
- Yields: 6 to 8
- 1 can whipped cream or whipped topping
- 1 chocolate bar
- Just before serving time, take your pie out of the refrigerator.
- Take your can of whipped cream and put little puffs of cream all around the perimeter of the pie. If you prefer, you may make your own whipped cream and put it on with a pastry bag. Or, non-dairy whipped topping and just slip teaspoon fulls around the edge.
- Hold your candy bar over the whipped puffs and slide your potato peeler down the candy bar, pushing away from you.
Preparation Of Chocolate White Chocolate PieClick thumbnail to view full-size
White Chocolate Candy - Or........White Ersatz Truffles
This is what you can do with the left over white chocolate morsel/condensed milk mixture from above.
Prep Time: 1
Total Time: 1-1/2
Serves: 6 (3 per person)
- 6 oz white chocolate morsels
- 7 oz condensed milk
- assorted nuts
- Put the white chocolate morsels in the top saucepan of a double boiler, add condensed milk. Stir. Heat covered, stirring occasionally, until the white chocolate morsels are as dissolved as can be.
- Remove from heat and let cool about 10 minutes, then place in the refrigerator for a 1/2 hour. When thoroughly chilled, take a teaspoon full of the mixture in your hand and roll it into a ball. If it's sticky, then it needs to be chilled a little more.
- Roll the balls in chopped nuts, nonpareils, sprinkles, confectioners sugar, cocoa, coconut or a cinnamon and suger combo.
© 2011 Ellen Gregory