Beef and Bok Choy Classic Stir Fry
Stir fry Beef and Bok Choy for fast, healthy cooking with crunch and flavour
Here's a quick crunchy lunch of beef and bok choy.
Remember, to cook stir fry you must, like the boy scouts, be prepared! Prepare everything you need before you start. Stir frying is fast; you won't have time to chop the bok choy while the beef is cooking.
Make sure that your ingredients are all cut approximately the same size - bite size. Stir-frying uses high heat, so all the pieces of food must be small enough to cook through without burning.
Once you get your wok hot ..... you can't stop!
Prepare Bok Choy
Chop up the bok choy. Cut leaves into wide strips and stems into thin strips
Quickly cook the meat
Cook the steak, turning often, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add bok choy and sauce
Wipe out the wok and quickly cook the bok choy (2 - 3 mins) . Add the sauce
Flank steak or Top-Blade steak is the small shoulder cut from the chuck region
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 2 - 4
- 1 TBLspn vegetable oil
- 500 g thinly sliced flank steak
- 4 heads baby bok choy
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 TBLspns rice vinegar
- 1 TBLspn grated fresh ginger
- 1 TBLspn brown sugar
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and sugar
- Chop up the bok choy. Cut leaves into wide strips and stems into thin strips
- Heat the oil in wok or large frying pan/ skillet over high heat.
- Season the steak with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Cook the steak, turning often, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet. Add the bok choy and ¼ cup water and simmer, covered, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sauce mix to the bok choy in the wok and bring to a boil.
- Add the steak and any accumulated juices and cook, tossing, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve over rice.
Bok Choy or Pak Choi
One half cup of raw bok choy, about 56 grams, contains just 10 calories, no fat and low sodium. It's high in vitamins C and A and a good source of calcium.
Just wash the bok choy, chop it and lightly steam it.
When you buy bok choy, choose stalks which are pure white and firm. Avoid leaves with brown spots. It will keep for up to three days in the frig.
The Breath of a Wok - First season your wok ....
The wok's "breath" is the heat rising from the sizzling instrument as a dish is finished.
Learn about basic Chinese cooking equipment - the wok and ladle
Wok culture, maintenance and cooking techniques-- and demonstrates how a wok can be used for so much more than stir-fry