Coffee: Types & Benefits
When was the last time you visited Starbucks or Bo’s Coffee? Did you went with your coffee buddy or by yourself?
In my case, I’ve been to my favorite coffee house just this morning with my partner in crime & coffee drinking.
Coffee shops are delightful places to spend your break or finish researches. Eighty percent of individuals all over the world are addicted to coffee although some studies showed that they have a negative impact in our body.
Whether or not you are part of the eighty percent, if you want to discover the wonders brought by coffee, this article is for you.
"Coffee has always been a significant part of my life. For me, it's a chance to start my day and gather my thoughts - it's fuel for my creative process."— Connor Franta
How It Began
During my elementary years my mother supplied me with caffeine daily because we can’t afford even the cheapest milk available on the store.
It started with one cup of black bean until it summed up to double.
I noticed as I grew up, my appetite for coffee just got bigger along with the other things in my life.
And the dependency went through for more than twenty years now.
How I Feel Without Coffee
It seem that my caffeine addiction has got my nerves. I start and end my day with its delicate pleasure. And if I sum it up, the total amount of caffeine I intake per day are approximately 9-10 cups.
Even if I try to trick my mind alerting alternatives like dark chocolate or a good warm bath, I still don’t feel complete without drinking my favorite cup of black caffeccino.
Did I Try To Quit?
When I was in college a friend of mine convinced me to stop my constant coffee habits. She said it would be better for me if I start cutting it from 10 to 8 cups per day until I reach out to at least 3 cups.
Honestly, I tried really hard but as the days went I noticed how my body badly reacted. I felt more miserable than anything that happened in my life.
So, I started my routine again back to normal. I felt better and stronger.
Plus, I met a new friend who was working as a barista in a famous yet local coffee shop downtown. She takes me to her workplace sometimes and offered me one delicious cup of redeye – a cup of brewed coffee mixed with espresso.
Why I Fell In Love With Coffee
- Coffee enables quick thinking
- Increases my energy and alertness
- Makes me happy
- Complements my day
- Great way to bond with my peers
- A cheap get away from a stressful day
- Coffee is budget-friendly
- Can be found anywhere
- It is consumable
- Can be made at home
- Challenges my creativity
Types Of Coffee
- Seasonal Coffee- ripen coffee beans from different times in various regions/farms
- Roast- heated green beans specialized to extract flavor and aroma
- Ristretto- espresso cup with less water
- Red eye- brewed coffee blended with espresso
- Pour-over-coffee- uses a filter cone to extract coffee flavor. It requires a steady slow stream style of water pouring
- Mocha- espresso mixed with chocolate syrup and steamed milk
- Micro-lot-coffee from a single farm
- Macchiato- foamed steamed milk on top of an espresso
- Latte art- pouring steamed milk into an espresso with cadence
- Latte- espresso with steamed milk
- Green beans- unroasted coffee beans
- French press- prepared by stepping grounds with hot water
- Flat white- flat steamed milk over an espresso
- Espresso- prepared by forcing hot water through coffee grounds
- Drip coffee- made with filter or press pot
- Dark roast- roasted beans to exclude natural oils
- Crema- caramel-colored oils on top of an espresso
- Cortado- espresso topped with flat steamed milk
- Cold drip coffee- made through steeping in cold water up to 12 hours
- Cappuccino- a shot of espresso combined with foamed milk
- Americano- espresso laced with hot water
- Affogato- a shot of espresso with ice cream
Benefits Of Coffee
- Boost Intelligence. Coffee contains a stimulant called caffeine which blocks inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain makes you feel alert and smart.
- Shapes Your Body. Regular caffeine intake boosts your metabolic rate which increases fat burning as much as 10% for obese people and 29% on lean individuals.
- Uplifts Performance. It breaks down fatty acids which converts into energy. Also increases adrenaline levels in your blood.
- Supplies Vitamins & Minerals. A cup of coffee contains supplements that are essential to the body such as:
- Riboflavin- Vitamin B complex which is important for metabolic production.
- Manganese- aids formation of connective tissues, bones, blood-clotting factors, and sex hormones. In addition, it is also responsible for fat and carbohydrate metabolism, calcium absorption, and blood sugar regulation.
- Potassium- regulate fluid balance, muscle contractions and nerve signals.
- Magnesium- regulate muscle and nerve function blood sugar levels blood pressure.
- Pantothenic acid- Vitamin B5 that metabolizes proteins carbohydrates and fats.
- Niacin- Vitamin B3 to help lower cholesterol, ease arthritis, and boost brain function.
- Lowers the risk of:
- Type 2 diabetes. An epidemic illness that causes blood sugar levels to arise higher than normal. Luckily, certain studies proved that people who drink more coffee decreases the risk up to 25-50%.
- Alzheimer’s Disease. A chronic neurodegenerative disease that worsens overtime which disables your ability to remember things. Many individuals suffer from it especially people over forty-years. Fortunately, some studies showed that coffee drinkers are less likely to experience it.
- Parkinson’s disease. An illness that affects nerve cells in the brain that produce dopamine – a neurotransmitter responsible for transmitting signals between nerve cells of the brain. Several studies concluded that taking 4-5 cups of coffee lowers the risk up to 30-35%.
- It fights depression. A longitudinal study showed that depression risk decreases with increasing caffeinated consumption. Depression is a common cause of death rate in the world.
- Lower risk of cancer such as:
- Colorectal cancer -starts in the colon or rectum. It is the top three causes of death through cancer according to Global Cancer Statistics.
- Liver cancer- starts in the cells of liver top 6 among the most lethal cancer.
- It lengthens life. Because it helps prevent certain diseases drinking coffee extends your number of years.
- Great source of antioxidant- substances that prevent or delay types of cell damage.
Do you remember when I said that coffee chanllenges creativity and it is a cheap getaway because it could be made at home?
Well, here is why.
Because I am super fan of coffee, I make sure that I can have a cup or two whenever possible. I also work during the night so it is very important to me have a reliable tool to prepare my hot delicious cup of coffee.
For quite sometime I am fascinated by my home-made coffee making routine especially when I am too tired to go to a coffee shop during mornings and odd hours of the day. I also make sure to create a healthy and clean brewery in order to avoid disappointment. Today, I am sharing to you my technique of creating wonderful coffee.
The Handblown Coffee Gator Pour Over Brewer is a total advantage for you especially when you love coffee so much. It could be a pleasant gift as well, if you know of anyone who loves coffee.
Why you should consider using it:
1. It has stainless steel filters.
2. Less hassle and affordable.
3. It has dual layer micro-mesh.
4. Features laser cut steel.
5. Plus, it won't rust.
Now that you know the types of coffee, which one is your favorite?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Sunshine Tibod