- Food and Cooking
Colour-coded cutting boards for food safety
Be sure about food hygiene with colour coded chopping boards
Sometimes, when I think back to being a child, I'm surprised that I survived into adulthood.
My mum was a great cook - very frugal too - and was always very careful about hygiene and safety in the kitchen. But she had never been taught about how raw foods can contaminate each other. She used the same chopping board for everything.
I was the same until I ran my health food store and learned about how soft cheeses, meat and other raw ingredients can taint other foods that are cut on the same board - with dangerous results.
It was at the health food store that I learned to use chopping boards that were in different colors of different meal ingredients. We had a busy kitchen and made takeout lunches - we were responsible for feeding many people so could take no risks.
At first, this sounded like a complicated method, to use different chopping boards for various ingredients but it's simple and today, manufacturers have made it even easier. And don't worry if you have limited storage space ('where can I keep more boards?') because I have the answer for you.
What's more, I can recommend this item as a great gift. It's stylish, practical as well as being a way to ensure safe cooking.
I used to be freaked by chicken
In the days when I used to cook meals for my meat-eating family, chicken was often on the menu.
The family liked it, it was very adaptable and more nutritious than red meat. But it scared me a lot. I knew that chicken was one of the worst items for spreading the salmonella germ.
Even today about thirty Americans die of salmonella poisoning every year but for the huge number that are made ill (see above) life can be very unpleasant indeed.
So when I cooked chicken I invariably used a bottle of bleach.
No, I hadn't invented a new dish called coq au bleach but I was manic about sterilizing everything, the board - knives, my hands - everything that had come into contact with raw chicken.
I had just one cutting board in my kitchen. Life would have been so much easier - and healthier and more hygienic- if I had only thought to use the colour coding system.
Here's the answer
This product is truly brilliant. Seven cutting boards are provided, all in different colors. They have symbols on each too so it's easy to see at a glance which board should be used for which ingredient. But the truly remarkable thing is the way that they boards all fit into the one holder.
All you need to do to use a board is slide it out and place it in the indentation at the top of the stylish bamboo holder. Genius!
More great advantages of this wonderful board
- It's completely self contained - all the boards are stored together and it takes up very little space in the kitchen
- The individual mats are flexible so you can easily transfer chopped or sliced ingredients to your saucepan or mixing bowl. Yet when they are mounted on the bamboo base unit, they are sturdy.
- When not being used for food preparation, it makes a lovely tray for serving cheese and crackers, drinks or canapés.
- The boards can be used on the countertop if you prefer - they don't have to be used in the unit and they can be washed in the dishwasher. Many of the rave reviewers though say that they are simple to wash by hand.
- This is such a time-saver. There's no need to stop your food preparations to clean your cutting board. Simply slide another one out of the main holder.
- If you look closely at the photographs below, you'll see that each corner of the bottom of the main board has protectors to keep your countertops from making. I love small touches like that.
- It can be stored vertically taking up hardly any space at all although because it's so attractive, users keep in on their countertops because it's in use on a daily basis.
- At last - you can be sure that the foods you are preparing conform to restaurant-quality hygiene conditions and that you are protecting yourself and your family from many nasties.
See more detailsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Here an expert explains about color coded boards. But he'd be better choosing the model I recommend above - much more practical!
All images from Amazon.
Learn more about food hygiene. It can be quite a shock when you realize that the health of the people you cook for is in your hands. Also, do you have a first aid kit in your kitchen? We have two! If you don't have one it would be a great idea to order one when you place the order for your board.
More color coded boards
I love the board that I've shown above because it's so perfect for my own kitchen. If you're looking for other examples though, take a look at the ones below.