How to Cook Celeriac
Celeriac is SO easy to cook
Celeriac, like all root vegetables, is the ultimate in comfort food.
You cook celeriac as you would any of the popular root vegetables, roast them, mash them, simmer in a stew or blend them for soups.
I love celeriac with potato, either mashed, or baked in a casserole. Celeriac makes great wedgies too!
Here's my oven baked recipe, for creamy celeriac and potato casserole with cheese.
Where do you start with a Celeriac?
If you've just met a celeriac for the first time, you will be forgiven for scratching your head and wondering just where to start on this odd looking bulbous vegetable.
It may not be the prettiest vegetable, but it's simple to cook and tastes like a mixture of celery and parsley. It can be eaten raw as long as you peel off the thick skin.
Prepare the Celeriac
Celeriac from my back garden
I've certainly grown better looking vegetables but you can't judge a book by its cover or a veggie by its skin.
Straight from my veggie patch
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 2 - 4
Celeriac and Potato Gratin - Ingredients
- Medium size celeriac
- 5 medium potatoes
- 50 g butter approx
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 and 1/2 cups cheese sauce
- Cut the skin off the celeriac (as shown in the video above).Chop into quarters
- Peel and slice the potatoes as thinly as you can
- Thinly slice the celeriac
- Put the sliced vegetables into a bowl of cold water to stop them from discolouring
- Rub some butter around the bottom and sides of the baking dish
- Layer the bottom of the dish with a mix of potato and celeriac slices
- Pour some cheese sauce over
- Repeat the process with another layer of sliced vegetables and cheese sauce until the dish is full
- Put the dish in the middle of a preheated warm to medium high oven for about an hour
- The gratin should be browned on top and cooked all the way through - test with a small knife
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 10 min
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Use any cheese for sauce. Choose grated mild or sharp Cheddar, Havarti, or any smoky flavoured cheese.
- Melt butter; remove from heat.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until well mixed.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes after the sauce has,thickened until smooth.
- Add cheese.
- Stir until smooth and well blended
- Cook time: 6 min
- Ready in: 6 min
Cheese Sauce in the Microwave
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- First put the butter in a large microwave safe bowl and cook on high heat until melted - about 20 seconds
- Take out the bowl. Stir in the flour until blended and smooth.
- Stir in milk, salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for approximately 2 minutes.
- Take out the bowl. Stir and cook again for another 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Take out the bowl. Stir in the cheese. Cook on high power for 1 minute.
- If you have any lumps, give it a quick whisk.
Celeriac makes wonderful soup
Slightly tangy. Slightly smoky
Celeriac Soup - Video
And a good Soup Tureen set for Celeriac Soup
Do you cook with Celeriac?
What do you make with Celeriac?
© 2011 Susanna Duffy