Cow Pie Surprise Recipe
Cow Pie for Dinner! Surprise!!
This is one of my family's favorite dinners.
No, it is not *that* kind of cowpie! Cows are beef. My "Cow Pie" is made from beef, (and some other stuff). It's tasty and filling.
The "surprise" part is the look on guests' faces when we tell them we're having Cow Pie for dinner. :)
- 1.5 lbs. Ground Beef
- 1 Large Onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup of Yellow Mustard
- 1 cup Ketchup
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pie Crust
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet, adding the diced onion as soon as there are enough beef drippings to let the onions saute. Allowing them to cook together lets the flavors mingle.
- Drain the excess grease, and then put the cooked beef and onions mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in the mustard and ketchup. (If your family likes spicy mustard, you can use that kind instead.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste. I like to add just a minimum at this stage, so every one can season their own at the table.
- Mix very well and then pour into your prepared pie crust. (I like to make my own crust, but when I'm in a hurry, I've used the pre-made frozen ones in the handy disposable foil pie pan!)
- Since your filling should still be pretty warm, you just need to cook the cow pie in the oven until the crust is golden (use the temperature given for the pie crust). Add the cheese on top for the last 8-10 minutes, so that it is melted and bubbly.
- Enjoy your Cow Pie Surprise! :)
A Perfect Pan for your Cow Pie...
I love this Pyrex Pie Plate because has handles. That makes it so much easier to get a grip on when I'm pulling it hot out of the oven!