Crab Cakes with Apricot Sauce
Make these to impress guests or just members of your own family. If you aren't fond of apricots, the crab cakes can be made without the sauce, or the sauce can be used for other purposes since both are tasty on their own. However, when combined they are positively delicious.
For crab cakes:
1½ cup Panko bread crumbs (or similar), divided
2 6-7 oz cans flaked crab meat (at least 4.5 oz weight drained)
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
½ cup green onions
1-2 splashes hot sauce
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoons butter
For apricot sauce:
1/3 cup apricot preserves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger (heaping)
1 teaspoon Chinese spicy mustard
Notes on this recipe
Only cut the green part of the onion. You may use scissors to snip small sections or use a sharp knife to slice.
Make sure the meat is thoroughly drained before use. Liquid in the meat will contribute to runny cakes that do not stick together or cook properly.
1. Beat eggs, drain crab meat, and chop green onions.
2. Mix eggs, meat, onions, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce in a bowl.
3. Divide into fourths and mold into patties.
4. Press patties, one at a time, into remaining bread crumbs. Flip to coat both sides.
5. Preheat oven to 350F.
6. Heat butter and olive oil in a large cast iron (or otherwise oven-proof) skillet over medium heat.
7. Place crab cakes carefully into pan and cook 3-4 minutes each side.
8. Place skillet in oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
1. Combine preserves, mustard, and ginger. Mix well.
2. Microwave on HI for 20-30 seconds. Stir well.
3. Drizzle over crab cakes before serving.