- Food and Cooking
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Recipes for Butternut Squash Soups
Learn how to make delicious creamy butternut squash soup from scratch - it's really easy and well worth having a go!
When cooked and seasoned correctly, butternut squash makes a delicious and nutritious meal, but I love it best as a creamy butternut squash soup. I first experienced it as a soup in a restaurant, and was immediately taken not only with the taste, but with the lovely thickness of it too.
Butternut squash is fairly sweet, but can be quite bland on its own, so you need to add some herbs, seasoning or other vegetables to whatever dish you are making. For soup, dressing up the squash is easy. Read on to find out how!
Image courtesy of Sifu Renka via Flickr Creative Commons
is one of the most popular and widely available forms of winter squash
As with all soups, there are numerous ways to make them. Here is my favourite recipe for making a delicious, creamy, roast butternut squash soup. Best of all, it is really easy!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 90-100 mins
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 500 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Parmesan to sprinkle
- All you need to do is take 1 large butternut squash and cut it in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds before drizzling with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of rosemary.
- Bake in the oven for around 60-75 minutes at Gas Mark 6 or 200 C, or until the squash is soft.
- Scoop out all the flesh, including the rosemary, into a blender and whizz. Put the puree into a saucepan with 500ml of vegetable stock (non-vegetarians can use chicken stock if preferred) and heat for around 20 minutes.
- To add a bit of posh, sprinkle some Parmesan on top to serve. Voila!
Butternut squash is an excellent early weaning food for babies. In addition to making purees from a baked squash, you can also give the above wholesome recipe to babies too! But make sure you make your stock from scratch rather than using stock cubes, as these can be too salty for young babies.
More Butternut Squash Soup Recipes
Find more great butternut squash soups below! Where chicken stock or broth is specified, you can substitute a vegetable version.
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Delicious easy recipe from the BBC
- Butternut Squash Soup
A delicious basic recipe from Veg Box with accompanying video tutorial.
- Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with 6 Variations
Another great basic recipe with 6 suggestions for alternatives using spices, seasoning and additional vegetables.
- Food Network Creamy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe from Paula Deen
Use actual cream to make your soup super creamy!
- Rachael Ray Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash Soup
Delicious everyday recipe from Rachael Ray
- Rachael Ray Butternut Squash Soup with Sweet and Spicy Pecans
Another great recipe from Rachael Ray
- Leek and Butternut Squash Soup
Delia Smith gives an alternative to leek and potato soup using butternut squash.
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
A nutritious and low-fat meal from WeightWatchers.
- Butternut Squash and Red Onion Soup
Also includes a healthier alternative for those watching the scales!
More Things to Do with Butternut Squash - Great Butternut Squash Recipes
Traditionally used for soups and flavored breads, pumpkins, butternut and other squashes are also perfect for cakes, breads and pies, salads, fabulous side dishes and as an invaluable ingredient in curries and soufflÃ©s as well as rice, pasta and couscous dishes.
Seasonal pumpkins or squash can be enjoyed almost year-round.
Thanks for reading! Please comment in the Guestbook before you go!