- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Creamy Clam Chowder
Homemade clam chowder
Here is a simple, tasty homemade New England clam chowder recipe for you to enjoy. The dish is creamy and delicious if you like clam chowder. This hearty dish can be a meal or a side, enjoy.
- 3 lb clams, in shell
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3 long strips bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes, diced
- 1 1/4 cups fish stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Prep and cooking instructions
- Discard any clams that are broken, open or do not close when tapped. Soak in cold water for 1 - 2 hours to get rid of any excess sand. Drain and place into heavy pan with 1 cup of water. Cover and simmer for for 5 minutes. Get rid of any clams that do not open. Strain and reserve liquid then remove clam meat from shells.
- Heat oil in pan. Add bacon, garlic, onion and cook, stirring over medium heat until onion is soft and bacon has browned. Add potatoes then stir.
- Use reserved liquid and water to make 1 1/4 cups. Add liquid to pan along with milk and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Uncover then simmer for 10 minutes. Mixture should thicken slightly.
- Add cream, clam meat and parsley. Add salt and pepper as needed. Heat through before serving, do not boil as the liquid may curdle. Serve and enjoy