Oven Cheese Chowder - Vegetarian Variation
Creamy Soups = Comfort Food on a Cold Day
One of my favorite things is a warm creamy soup on a wintery day... The snow falling outside. A fire in the fire place. And a delicious smelling soup filled with veggies in the oven (yup! That's right. I said oven - so you don't have to watch over it on the stove). Throw in a book and a blanket, and I'm in heaven.
On this page, I'll share one of my favorite creamy vegetarian soup recipes plus many more similarly creamy delights for you to try. In the recipe links, I indicate if the recipes are vegan or call for eggs or dairy. I also marked if the recipe requires that you subititute vegetable broth in place of the listed meat-based broth. I have found that vegetable broth tastes just as good in most dishes.
All photos on this page are my own.
The Soup-er Possibilities Are Endless
This is one of my favorite cookbooks with a ton of different recipes for a ton of different types of soup. It is not a vegetarian cookbook, but I have found that many of the recipes can be easily made vegetarian with a few substitutions. I also like how this book is organized with easy-to-recognize symbols for healthy, quick, crockpot, and easy recipes - telling me at a glance if it's a recipe I want to look at more closely. Even if you already own too many cookbooks (like me), you will want to add this cookbook to your collection!
Do you like creamy soups?
Do you like creamy soups?
Oven Cheese Chowder
The original recipe, in The Ultimate Soup Cookbook (above), calls for chicken broth, a single garlic clove and one bay leaf. I make it vegetarian with the simple vegetable broth substitution. My household loves garlic and bay so we bumped up those ingredients. Go ahead and make this recipe your own with your adaptations too. The base ingredients are pretty flexible.
As a fully balanced meal in one bowl, this is one of my family's staple meals. We never get tired of it!
- 1/2 pound zucchini cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 chopped medium onions
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican-style corn drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 -5 bay leaves
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1.5 cups half-and-half
- Additional Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a 3-quart baking dish (I use my 9x13 inch lasagna pan) combine zucchini, onions, chickpeas, tomatoes, corn, broth, salt, pepper, garlic, basil, and bay leaves. Cover and bake 1 hour, stirring once.
- Stir in Jack and Romano cheese and half-and-half and bake, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Top with additional Jack cheese, if desired.
- Note: It is important to stir the cheeses in immediately while it's still bubbling hot. That way the cheeses melt quickly and don't break. Do not waste time trying to pull out the bay leaves early (like I did in an effort to get them out while they were easy to find).
The Perfect Tools for Preparing this Recipe
I use a simple glass pan like this for my Oven Cheese Chowder, and it's great for making lasagna, granola, breakfast egg bake, and tons more dishes.
I love the clean lines of a white pan for serving it up to guests!
Nothing holds up or cleans up better than stainless steel.
This container is the perfect serving size for soup leftovers. It travels well, cleans up easily and lasts forever.
Creamy Can Be Healthy Too
- Italian White Bean
VEGAN, SUB VEG BROTH - White kidney beans and spinach make this hearty and healthy.
- Best Ever Creamy Soup
DAIRY, SUB VEG BROTH - Five different vegetables add flavor and nutrition to this recipe.
VEGAN - Elegantly creamy white, this is the perfect meal starter.
- Creamy Vegetable
VEGAN - This simple soup made primarily of vegetables is made creamy by pureeing it. The claim is that it "fills you up and cleans you out."
- Cream of Amazing Vegetable
VEGAN - Rediscover your crockpot! This dish cooks all day and is thickened by pureeing right before serving.
- Potato Leek
VEGAN - Potatos and leeks combine for a mild-flavored creamy flavor that's sure to warm you up.