Curried Eggs and Bacon on Naan Bread Recipe
Curried eggs for breakfast? Does this sound just a little bit strange? It probably does to many people reading this but a curried dish for breakfast is nothing new, even in the West. Kedgeree - the curried egg and rice dish - was created very much as a breakfast offering centuries ago by Scottish soldiers who had returned home from service in India, even though it is now perhaps more frequently eaten later in the day. If you are like me and love curry, bacon and eggs, why not give this a go? After all, it's just bacon, scrambled eggs and bread (instead of toast) with a little bit of a tasty and interesting twist!
- Prep time: 3 min
- Cook time: 7 min
- Ready in: 10 min
- Yields: One person
Like this Recipe Idea? Please Rate it Below!
- 1 ten-inch naan bread, heated per the instructions on the pack
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/2 ounce (1/8 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 slices of bacon (UK readers: use smoked streaky bacon)
- Little bit of vegetable or sunflower oil for frying bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon medium curry powder
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped, fresh coriander leaf/cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Add a little bit of oil to a frying pan and begin frying the bacon over a medium heat. Turn occasionally and fry until it has reached desired consistency.
- Break the eggs straight in to a small saucepan. Add the butter, turmeric, curry powder and a little black pepper.
- Put the saucepan with the eggs on to a medium heat and begin gently working them around the pot with a wooden spoon. You must keep doing this for the duration of the two to three minute cooking time.
- Every thirty seconds or so, lift the saucepan briefly off the heat to avoid the eggs overcooking and drying out.
- Heat the naan bread per the instructions on the pack. This is usually by placing it under a hot grill/broiler or in the microwave.
- When the eggs are scrambled but still deliciously moist, season with salt and stir in most of the coriander/cilantro.
- Lay the naan bread on a serving plate and spoon the curried scrambled eggs on top.
- Lift the bacon slices from the pan one at a time with cooking tongs - shaking gently to remove the excess grease - and lay on top of the eggs.
- Garnish with the remaining coriander/cilantro to serve.
Breakfast is often and rightly touted as the most important meal of the day, yet it remains that time of day when most of us are at our least imaginative in a culinary sense. If you're a little bit fed up with the same old breakfast day in and day out, here are a massive 101 original ideas for giving your family a whole new lease of life at the start of the day. Along with the recipe featured above, that's 102 brand new ideas!