- Food and Cooking
Curried Kumara Soup
Curried Kumara Soup: A Sweet Potato by Another Name
Known in New Zealand as Kumara, the humble Sweet Potato makes a wonderful soup dish. Deliciously smooth and creamy you can thin the consistency to your liking.
It is so quick and easy... and it's made in the microwave oven! Not only that, kumara happens to be a very healthy vegetable. Curried kumara soup makes a healthy and satisfying meal.
And...did I say it was easy?
Try serving your soup with a swirl of cream.
...Maori for the Sweet Potato
Kumara (Ipomoea batatas) was cultivated by the Maori before European habitation of New Zealand. Known in other areas of the world as the sweet potato the kumara is one of the most popular vegetables in New Zealand. They are full of health benefits and are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6, calcium and iron. They are almost fat free and are cholesterol free.
Kumara has more fiber than oatmeal!
In New Zealand there are three varieties. The red kumara has a creamy white flesh with a firm texture and a mellow flavour...this is my favourite. The gold variety has a soft texture and is slightly sweeter. The orange kumara is firm and has the sweetest taste.
Have you heard of kumara before?
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 4 - 6
- 500 g kumara
- 50 g butter
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 cup hot vegetable stock OR 1 cup of hot water and 2 tsp of vegetable stock granules
- 2 - 3 cups of milk
- Peel kumara. Slice thinly. Microwave butter, garlic, onion and curry powder in a large bowl or casserole dish for 1 1/2 minutes...High (100% power).
- Add sliced kumara and hot stock or water, cover and cook until kumara is tender...about 10 minutes. If using stock granules add them now and puree the kumara, mix and thin with 2 cups of milk. Return the mixture to the casserole dish. Add extra milk, if desired. Reheat, stirring every 2 minutes, until the mixture bubbles around the edges and soup has heated evenly. Taste and add seasoning. Serve.
You will need to puree your soup mixture for that creamy texture...
Do you like kumara or sweet potato?
Le Souk Ceramique-Honey Design Soup / Cereal Bowls (Set of Four) - $35.01
This honey pattern is the most famous and most enduring of the designs by Le Souk Ceramique. It was their first pattern in 1997 and remains one of their best-sellers. It is 100% painted freehand.
Citronique Design Soup / Cereal Bowls (Set of Four) - $24.99
The deep cobalt blue glaze is one of the trademark colors of Citronique. This set is combined with the yellow lemons and green leaves, 100% painted freehand with no tracing.
Le Souk Ceramique-Tabarka Design Soup / Cereal Bowls (Set of Four) - $26.02
The Tabarka Design collection has geometric patterns which are the hallmark of Arab / Islamic art, especially in North Africa. Another quality 100% hand painted item from the Le Souk Ceramique collection.
Do you like these soup bowls?
The kumara varieties.
Photo by Lyn Bell
Kumara or sweet potato is a low-glycemic index carbohydrate which means it will keep you feeling full for longer. It makes a good substitute for those cravings you may have for such comfort foods as pasta and bread.