Baking Cut-Out Cookies!
Do you like to bake cookies that are made using cookie cutters?
Here are recipes that work best for making cut-out cookies, along with great decorating tips and tricks. You will even find variations for special dietary needs like diabetic, vegan and gluten-free cookies. What makes cut-out cookies so great is that you can use the same cookie dough recipe and then just by changing the shape, makes cookies to suit any occasion! And by changing how you frost and decorate the cookies, you can come up with even more fun variations.
There are also links to many wonderful and whimsical cookie cutters, plus lots of pictures to give you inspiration for really cute cookies no matter what the holiday or time of year!
What's Cookie-ing? - cookie cutters - To Suit Your Moods or your Baking Needs
Featured here are some great cookie cutters, in designs and themes to match the season!
Cookie Recipes - the basics plus some variations on a theme
You'll notice that most recipes for cutout cookies have a lot of similarities. I've tried to find recipes here at have distinct differences as well as some sugar cookie classics.
One thing to remember about nearly all cut-out cookies recipes is that the dough tends to be higher in butter content and you'll want to chill the dough in between when you mix it up and rolling it out for cutting. Otherwise it's too soft and tends to stick to everything. Depending on the recipe, this might range from an hour or so to overnight.
pssst.... there's a "no chill" recipe listed here for those of us who don't remember to plan ahead.
- Recipe Chic: Cutout Cookies
I can't tell you how many times I have skipped over cutout cookie recipes because I didn't want to fuss with the mess and added trouble I thought it would take to make them. That is, until Mormonchic put me to the task of selecting a few of the best
- Maple Cookies - Cut Out Cookies
A cookie recipe from Quebec for maple syrup cut-out cookies.
- Sugar and Spice Cut Out Cookies
These cookies are pretty easy to make and don't take much time to cook. They are perfect for decorating at holiday time or just plain all year round. This recipe makes *LOTS* of cookies.
- Oatmeal cut out cookies
This version of the cut out cookie is a wonderful oatmeal variation!
- no chill cut out sugar cookies recipe
This recipe is a classic sugar cookie one, but it doesn't need to be chilled before you cut out the cookies.
- Sour Cream Cut Out Cookies
My kids love cookies...they take after their mom. We bake them for all the holidays, even Easter. These cut out cookies are the BEST. They are light and fluffy. The almond extract adds a great flavor. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
- Cutout Cookies, Cutout Cookies recipes
A cutout cookie recipe treasure trove! Dozens of different recipes listed from Christmas-Cookies.com
- Buttery Cut-Out Cookies Recipe
Cream cheese in this cookie makes it slightly flakier, softer and richer than a traditional butter cut-out cookie.
- Valentine Butter Cookies & Heart Shaped Cookies
If you love butter cookies and are looking for some great recipes that make large batches of cookies, try one of these two recipes. The Valentine Butter Cookies (made with a cookie press) and the Heart Shaped Cookies (cut out cookies) will give you m
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Great recipe also includes suggestions for decorating and a ganache drizzle recipe
- Colorful Cookie Recipes
Cookies are delicious and fun, especially for Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day or Easter. Bake a classic sugar cookie and frost to suit the occasion perfectly!
Gluten-Free Cookie Mixes
For those of you who follow a gluten-free diet, here are some specialty cookie mixes that should be adaptable to making cut-out cookies while still being free of wheat.
One thing to note: if you are sensitive to potato starches (as I am) you may have trouble even with gluten-free flours as many of them contain potato, so be sure to read the exact ingredients to check for any more sensitivities.
Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies - a special holiday favorite!
Gingerbread people cookies have been used as traditional holiday decorations since Victorian times, and the recipes below include tips on creating them for treats, gifts, tree ornaments or even package tags!
- Gingerbread Cookies, Cookie Recipe, Christmas Cookies
"I made the three cookie cutters for these little guys. They are about 5 1/2-inches tall. The gingerbread houses are about 4 x 4 inches. My husband says that these cookies are the modern version of the Gingerbread Man."
- Christmas Recipes Gingerbread Cookies Recipes For Kids
Christmas Recipes Gingerbread Cookies Recipes, part of a collection of recipes for Kids.
- Simply Recipes: Gingerbread Man Cookies Recipe
No cookie says Christmas more than a gingerbread man cookie. It's been thirty years since I last made gingerbread men, and it took all weekend to get this recipe right. After starting with a truly terrible recipe from an old edition of the Joy of Coo
- FamilyFun: Make Yummmy Gingerbread Cookies Shaped Like Letters - and More Family Fun
Recipe and instructions for alphabet-shaped gingerbread cookies
- Basic Gingerbread Cutout Cookies
Gingerbread boys and girls are fun to hang on the Christmas tree. But so are pigs, birds, horsies, bones, boats and any shape a cutter can make.
- Gingerbread Men Recipe - Joyofbaking.com
Christmas baking wouldn't seem complete without a batch of gingerbread men. Fragrant with ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves the amount of which can be adjusted to suit your own individual taste.
More Cookie Cutters
Kick-start your cookie cutter collection! Many times, simple and general shapes can be adapted over and over for different occasions.
Recipes for Food Allergies and Special Diets - gluten-sensitivity, vegan/vegetarian, diabetic, diary-free and low-cal
Here are a variety of recipes for people with specific dietary needs or restrictions. To decorate cookies without using frosting (which can really add on calories or be too much sugar), consider using nuts, fruit, and seeds for accents or try painting your cookies with natural food coloring.
- Gingerbread Cut Out cookies :: theppk.com Vegan Recipe Database
A vegan recipes variation and one of the best decorated cookies, from the PostPunkKitchen. These totally rock!
- Gluten-Free Cut-out Cookies
They are a staple at my mother-in-law's house at Christmas. She says you can't tell the difference between these and the usual ones she makes.
- Anise Seed Cut-Out Cookies
A cookies recipe variation appropriate for diabetics
- Raspberry Shortbread Sandwiches
Scroll down the page for this dairy-free recipe. It also works well for cut-out cookies.
- Low cal cookies - Yummy Desserts
I know all of you love cookies, doesn't matter what your age is and if they're low cal, they add an extra zing to your taste and health too. The ingredients are supplements for calorie, which may include whole wheat, regular sugar replaced by low cal
Create Your Signature Cookie! - the add-ons, flourishes and sweet embellishments
- Coloring - cookie dough can be colored when it is made. Certain ingredients impart color but there's also food coloring for almost any color of the rainbow.
- Dusting - sprinkle the cookie with powdered sugar, cocoa or fancy sugars when they are still freshly warm. Let the cookies cool a bit before dusting or the sugars will melt. Using a tiny strainer (put the topping in and stir or tap with a spoon) can make for a very fine and uniform dust.
- Sprinkles - also known as nonpareils, jimmies, or hundreds and thousands. These are tiny shaped decorations of colored sugar. They can be chocolate, rainbow, or single colors. Traditionally, nonpareils are opaque white.
- Frosting - with this type of slim cookie, more often this really refers to a sugar glaze spread on the cookie. It can be left white (for "snow") or colored with food colors.
- Fancy combo cookies - any of the decorating methods above can also be mixed. Reindeer cookies can be made in chocolate and then have red frosting noses added and white snow drizzled on the antlers. Sprinkles added make great face details or other edible accents.
- Plain - of course, you can also leave cut-out cookies plain. Quite often, the fancy and specific shape makes them perfect just the way they are!
These pages and recipes especially include information and instructions for how to decorate your cutout cookies.
- painting cut-out cookies
After dinner we painted cookies until our fuses grew unmanageably short. "Quit hogging the green! Do we have to finish these tonight?"
Finishing cookies doesn't have to be a complicated task. Cookies can instantly turn from plain to decorated, but it does take practice and time.
- Modern Baking : Decorating Ideas :: Creative cut-out cookies
Decorated cookies create sales opportunities for bakeries. Explore ways to breathe new life into some familiar cookie shapes.
- Baking, Decorating, Storing & Shipping Tips
Cookie Baking, Decorating, Storing & Shipping Tips By Cheri Sicard
- How to Decorate Cookies with step by step photo instructions
Be sure to create a sketch or drawing of what you want your cookie to look like before decorating - this will ease the stress of creating as you go.
- Land O'Lakes: Cut-Out Cookies
There is nothing yummier than a luscious cut-out butter cookie decorated to capture the spirit of the holidays. Crisp with a rich butter taste, these cookies are favorites and part of precious holiday memories. In our Baking Class, we'll show you, s
- Cookie Frostings
recipe archive at allrecipes.com - nothing but TONS of cookie frosting recipes