Dairy-Free Scalloped Potatoes
Gluten & Dairy-Free Scalloped Potatoes
ScalIoped potatoes are a staple for any holiday dinner. A classic comfort food. I call these "faux" gratin potatoes! Scalloped potatoes with no cheese, but ALL the smooth creaminess. It's unbelievable until you try it. I was skeptical myself. We have been dairy-free for almost a year now and this recipe sure fills a cheesy void!
Photo from the lovetolink kitchen.
Wash those 'taters!
A potato oustanding in his field!
To peel or not to peel:
Leave the skins ON your potatoes, It's healthier! It's easier! They are sliced so thin that the kids shouldn't mind. It looks pretty too!
Slice potatoes the quick & easy way:
I like to do this first, so I'm not in a hurry while other ingredients are cooking or the hot oven is waiting. This helps prevent accidents!
I used the 13 cup, but the 12 cup is a little cheaper and would do a great job as well. The 12 cup also fits the new french fry disc :)
Peel your potatoes ahead of time and submerge them in cold water to keep their white color. Brown potatoes aren't harmful, just ugly. Add ice cubes if needed, to prevent oxidation.
You'll need a 3 quart casserole dish - 9x13 inches is standard
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: 8
- 2 lbs. red potatoes sliced
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 16 oz. chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. gluten-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1. Wash potatoes and slice about 1/4-inch thick. Place in bowl of cold water so they don't turn brown.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350ÂºF. Grease a 9Ã13-inch baking dish.
- 3. Saute onion and garlic in 1 T. olive oil about 5 min. until softened.
- 4. Add 3 more T. olive oil and whisk in flour until it forms a smooth paste.
- 5. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Add the mayonnaise, salt, and pepper and continue to whisk until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- 6. Drain the potatoes and layer them in the pan alternately with the sauce.
- 7. Sprinkle paprika across the top.
- 8. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350ÂºF.
Salt with natural iodine
The potato is 80% water! That's why they don't freeze well.