- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Delicious and Easy to Cook Pork Kidney and Liver How-To Recipes
Out of the Ordinary Meat Ingredients for Savory Recipes
Most people, especially those who grew up in the cities, may be reluctant to eat meat dishes with liver and kidney as ingredients. But many Asian and fusion restaurants have concocted mouth-watering recipes to make these unusual dishes look delicious and taste palatable.
The liver and the kidney (from pork, beef, lamb, beef, and even poultry) are excellent sources of vitamins (A, D, C, thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin) and other nutrients (pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, choline, biotin, and folic acid). The internal organs are even richer sources than the actual animal meat.
Common cooking methods for the liver and the kidney are sautéing, grilling, and frying. Some are poached and seared. They are also important ingredients to many popular meat stew recipes. The liver and the kidney can also be cooked separately.
Simple Stir-Fry Recipe for Pork Kidneys
- ½ cup young bamboo shoots, thinly sliced and cut into squares
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into large cubes
- ½ cup wild mushrooms, soaked until soft then drained well
- 1 Tbsp chili sauce
- Salt, soy sauce, ground pepper, sugar (to taste)
- 1 cup pre-boiled pork kidney, thinly sliced and cut decoratively
- Marinate pork kidney in lemon, salt, and garlic powder. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a wok, heat small amount of olive oil. Stir-fry bamboo shoots and pork kidney. Add chili sauce. Sprinkle a little of everything: salt, soy sauce, ground pepper, and sugar. Add mushrooms. Let simmer while stirring occasionally, until both the bamboo shoots and pork kidney are tender.
- Stir in green bell pepper and remove from heat to retain its appetizing green color.
How to Cook Steak and Kidney Pudding
Uses of Hua Tiao Wine
As the oldest brewed Chinese wines, the Hua Tiao Wine (or Shao Hsing Hua Tiao Chiew), is made from pure grain so alcohol content is low. It is one of the ancient Chinese medicines that helps improve blood circulation, beautify skin, and increase appetite. It is a well-known taste-enhancer, which helps remove unsavory smell and taste in foods.
How to Remove Raw Smell and Taste in Fresh Liver and Kidney
- Cut into desired sizes the liver and kidney; and dip in near-boiling water for 5 minutes. Wash again and drain well.
- Before cooking, marinade in lemon or vinegar plus pepper and salt, from 30 to 60 minutes.
Note: The kidney needs to be boiled to be tender; while the liver gets hard when cooked longer. Liver acquires bitter taste when over-cooked. Cook liver until the reddish color is all gone.
How to Remove Meaty Smell
Boil meat with ginger in ¼ cup water, for 30 minutes. Remove from water and wash thoroughly. Drain before cutting into very small cubes.
Bopiz – A Spicy Dish with Pork Kidney
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece big red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp ginger, sliced
- ¾ cup ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 pieces red chili pepper
- ¼ cup long green pepper, chopped
- 1 piece radish or carrot, peeled and cut into very small cubes
- Salt and ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup cream of coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
Meat Ingredients (All boiled and cut into very small cubes):
- ½ cup pork lung (remove plastic-like tubes)
- ½ cup pork heart
- ½ cup pork kidney
- 1 cup pork liver
- Over medium heat, sauté garlic, onion, and tomatoes. Stir in pork heart, kidney, and lungs. Add salt and pepper, according to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and pork liver. Stir occasionally to avoid curdling. Add radish or carrot, red chili and long green peppers. Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot with steamed rice.
How to Cook 'Bachoy'
- Sauté garlic, onion, and ginger in hot oil. Stir in beef pancreas and kidney. Add salt and ground pepper. Stir in pork loin and beef liver. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water. Boil for 30 minutes.
- Add more water, to make soupy dish. Add egg noodles. Stir in spinach leaves, cover pot, and remove immediately from heat.
How to Serve ‘Bachoy': Ladle the dish into deep serving soup bowls. Sprinkle chopped green onion and crushed pork cracklings as toppings. Place few slices of boiled egg and a pinch of fried garlic on top.
Special 'Bachoy' - Stew with Assorted Meat and Egg Noodles
- 1 cup pork loin, cubed
- 2/3 cup beef pancreas, boiled and cubed
- 2/3 cup beef kidney, boiled and cubed
- 2/3 cup beef liver, boiled and cubed
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup garlic, minced
- ¼ cup ginger, peeled and minced
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ Tbsp ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp rock salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 small pack egg noodles
- ½ cup minced garlic, fried until golden and crisp (for garnishing)
- 1 cup Pork cracklings (for garnishing)
- Boiled egg, sliced (for garnishing)
- Stalks of green onion, chopped (for garnishing)
Simple 'Menudo' Recipe
'Menudo' - Pork Meat and Pork Liver with Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound pork meat, cubed
- ½ pound pork liver, cubed
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece big red onion, chopped
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 2 pieces medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 piece medium carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 piece medium green bell pepper, cubed
- Salt, soy sauce, and ground pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup sausage, sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup raisin (optional)
- ¼ cup green peas (optional)
- ¼ cup grated cheese (optional)
How to cook:
- Marinade pork meat in 1 Tbsp of vinegar, ½ Tbsp soy sauce, and ground pepper; for 15 minutes.
- Over medium heat, sauté garlic and onion in hot oil. Stir-fry pork meat for 2 minutes. Add salt, soy sauce, and ground pepper, according to taste. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce and mix thoroughly. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Fill the can with water and pour over simmering meat. Add potatoes and cover again to simmer for 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots and pork liver. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add green bell pepper, cover and remove from heat.
Suggestion: Add the optional ingredients when cooking special 'menudo.'
Fried Liver with Gravy
This recipe is very simple and easy.
- Just cut the beef liver into strips. Roll in flour and fry.
- Arrange fried beef liver strips on a dish with boiled potatoes, chopped fresh dills, and cucumber slices.
- Pour hot liver gravy before serving.
Dinuguan - Pork Innards with Pork Blood Stew
One of the specialties in Filipino cuisine is the 'dinuguan'. Blood is 'dugo' in Tagalog. Innards like intestines, kidney, liver, heart, and meat scraps are sliced thinly and cooked together in pork blood until thick.
Dinuguan is served with white rice cakes or 'puto' as snack. It is also served with steaming rice as viand.
Find a dinuguan recipe here.
Cooking Tip to Make Tasty and Flagrant Dinuguan
Wash everything thoroughly. Boil once. Wash again thoroughly. Boil together with crushed garlic head, some dried laurel leaves, and a small bundle of dried origano leaves. Drain well when cooked, then cut everything into small cubes.