Delicious Chick Peas Soup or Channa Soup
Delicious Vegetarian Soup Recipe (Chickpeas, Bengal Gram, Garbanzo Beans)
Vegetarian or Vegan Soup Recipe
What I love most about this Chick Peas or Channa soup is that it combines great taste with an astounding lot of nutrition! It is made from a bean, which is called by various names around the world, namely, chick peas, garbanzo beans, bengal gram or channa
This Channa or Chick Peas soup (as it is called in the Caribbean) can be enjoyed by vegans, vegetarians and even meat lovers who want to leave off meat for at least one (1) day. It can also be used by itself for a brunch, lunch, dinner or as an appetizer in a multi-course meal. The possibilities are limitless!
Before I became a vegetarian, I always had chicken soup to make me feel better if I was ill or in low spirits. Now that I am a vegetarian, this Chick Peas or Channa soup has become my 'chicken soup' of choice.
- 200 g Chick Peas or Channa (cooked)
- Half cup of White flour
- Half cup of Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal
- 2 tablespoons of Coconut Milk powder
- 2 sprigs Chive
- 1 sprig Parsley
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 clove Garlic (finely chopped or grated)
- Quarter teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or to your taste)
This is the pressure cooker I use in order to burst the chickpeas (channa, garbanzo beans, bengal gram) for the soup.
I spend a lot less time in the kitchen with this 'beauty'. The pressure cooker is a MUST HAVE, if you intend to whip up quick, easy and delicious meals!
- Place raw chick peas / channa in a dish, pour water over the chick peas / channa (up to twice the level of the chick peas / channa) and leave soaking in the water overnight or for about eight (8) hours.
- Place swollen chick peas / channa in a pressure cooker with the water just covering the chick peas / channa and pressure cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the chick peas / channa are cooking, place the Corn Meal, White flour, Salt, Baking Powder and White Pepper in a bowl, mix together, add warm water gradually to the mixture, and knead into dough.
- Divide the dough into smaller pieces, roll and shape them into dumplings of your desired size and shape and set aside.
- Place 1 cup of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the dumplings and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Coconut Milk Powder, the cooked Chick Peas / Channa and the finely chopped Garlic and allow the soup to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Finely chop the Chive and Parsley and sprinkle all over your finished soup, as both an appetizing and eye catching garnish.
- (Optional): You can add 1/2 tablespoon of Olive Oil for zestier flavor.
- Finally, get your spoon, 'dig in' and enjoy!
STEP-by-STEP Instructions on HOW TO Make the Delicious Chick Peas or Channa Soup
These pasta bowls double nicely as appealing soup bowls! They make eating interesting.
For a flowery hint of elegance, use this bowl for your more formal occasions, like Christmas, Thanksgiving, family reunion, inviting the boss to dinner.
Channa or Chick Peas is known by various other names around the world.
What name do you know this bean by?
Can you believe that these unassuming beans can help reduce cholesterol and avoid constipation while strengthening your nervous system? (Encyclopedia of Foods and their Healing Power)
Chick Peas or Channa are also highly recommended for persons suffering from stress and depression and their protein content equals the amount found in meat and eggs.
Whenever I cook this Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans, Bengal Gram, Channa) Soup, I am never able to stick to eating just one serving and if I make it for friends and family, there are no 'left overs'. But you don't have to take my word or their word for it.
Just try it yourself and you will see what I mean!
Nutrition Facts for Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, bengal gram)
|Serving size: 100 grams|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 243 mg||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Here is an interestingly spicy channa/chick peas recipe that you can try - This tastes really well with just plain white rice.
© 2013 Heidi Vincent