- Food and Cooking
Delicious Vegan Eggplant, Spinach and Almond Enchiladas
Delicious, nutritions and easy to prepare vegan enchiladas
Enchiladas are a gift from Mexican cooking, all those savory flavors blended together. There are many kinds of enchiladas, common ones being green chile, shrimp, chicken, red chili - to name a few. In this alternative to traditional fillings, eggplant, spinach are combined with almonds and wrapped in a soft flour (or gluten free brown rice) tortilla and smothered in a flavorful chili sauce.
Its just a little extra work than most caseroles and often tastes even better the next day, making it easy for anyone to simply reheat for a fabulous meal.
Accompany individual servings with a dollop of guacamole.
The Ingredients You Need
* 6 flour tortillas **Gluten free brown rice tortillas are pitcured here. if Traditional corn tortillas are prefered, use 12.
* two small (but not the teeny tiny ones) or one large eggplant cut into 1/4 inch cubes
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cups chopped raw spinach
* 1 red pepper (or green) chopped
* 1 cup sliced or chopped almonds
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 medium cloves of garlic, chopped
* black pepper to taste
* coconut oil for frying tortillas and sauteeing vegetables
** enchilada sauce ** store bought or home made, see sauce section below.
Go More Vegan - its Simple - With these recommended cookbooks
Vegan Eggplant, Spinach and Almond Enchilada Recipe
In a large skillet, saute the garlic and onions fro about 5 minutes, add salt. Add the eggplant, mix and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes over low heat until the eggplant is soft.
Add the peppers, almonds, spinach and black pepper. Cook another five minutes. Stir frequently. Remove form heat.
Heat some coconut oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Fry each tortilla on both sides only enough to soften and warm them up, not so much that they become crisp and will not roll.
Fill each tortilla by placing about 1/4 cup of filling on one side and rolling it up. Place in a baking pan. You may wish to grease the pan with coconut oil. Pour your enchilada (or hot sacuce if you prefer) over the top. Bake in a 350 oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
* I am not a fan of spicy food and therefore prior to adding any kind of sauce, these are mild enchiladas. You may cover them with any kind of sauce you prefer, go as hot as you like! You may also add a variety of spices such as corriander, cayenne, chili powder and cumin to the eggplant mixture to enhance the flavors of the dish without the sauce.
The Enchilada Sauce
When I make these, I admit, I use an already prepackaged sauce, one that is gluten free and vegan and can be found in your local grocery store. Nothing beats a homemade sauce though and here I have included some links to some fine recipes for delicious enchilada sauce.
- Enchilada Sauce
Try this recipe for a quick and easy homemade vegan enchilada sauce recipe and make your own home made enchilada sauce.
- Homemade Vegan Enchilada Sauce
SImple aromatic flavors combine in this unique and savory sacue from Bonzai Aphrodite
- Potato - Kale Enchiladas And a Delightful Enchilada Sauce
A flavorful chili sauce and another filling alternative for your enchiladas
An Absolute Must Have
More than just your average recipe and cookbook, Veganomicon will inspire, fascinate and truly captivate you. The authors are witty and charming and have this way of making you excited to try everything the book has to offer. The first part of the book helps you set up and prepare a vegan kitchen, teaches you how to cut and prepare different vegetables and how to cook different kinds of grains. The recipes are novel and delicious and offer everything from savory main dishes like Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions and Spiced Pita Crisps, to wonderful vegan breakfasts like a hot stack of velvety Blueberry Corn Pancakes and incredible desserts like decadent Caramel-Apple-Spice Cupcakes.
When people ask me why I'm eating vegetarian, I simply say...I choose to eat in a conscious manner that does not lead to massive environmental degradation, enormous health problems and unimaginable cruelty toward animals.