- Food and Cooking
Deliciously Unique Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
Pineapple Upside Down Cake A Classic Dessert
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a classic dessert in many homes. The ingredients for this cake are staples in most kitchen cupboards. This makes it an easy dessert to throw together. My mom used to make this delicious cake with me on rainy days. I loved lining the pineapples up and placing the cherries inside the pineapple rings. I learned a lot from her in the kitchen as I cooked alongside her. As I share my favorite recipes of my childhood with you I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does.
photo by Flour, Sugar, Love
This recipe was passed down from my dad's mother to my mom to me. When our family gets together to celebrate Thanksgiving this dessert is always made.
Serves: Makes 1 13x9 cake
- 8 slices of pineapple (drained)
- 8 Maraschino Cherries
- ! 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In 9 x 13 pan melt butter in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter. Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a bowl, set aside. Beat eggs and sugar in another bowl, add vanilla extract; alternately add flour and milk in three additions, ending with flour, scraping bowl occasionally. Mix well and pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately place heatproof serving platter upside down over pan and then turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Serve warm.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Pans
Easy and effortless clean up
Six 1 cup servings
8-cup aluminum pineapple upside-down cake pan
Nonstick coating for easy release and quick cleanup
Design allows precise placing of pineapple rings and cherries
Pineapple Upside down Silicone Cake Pan
Bright Yellow...makes 6 individual cakes 4' x 3.5"
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
TIP Don't throw away the pineapple juice. Store in an airtight container and use it for the juice in a meat marinade. YUMMY!!
This cake can be made in one 13x9 cake pan or two round 9 inch cake pans. One for you and one to share with someone else.
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 oz) can of pineapple slices
- Maraschino Cherries
- 1 pkg Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix
- 1 (3.4 oz) pkg vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Melt butter in a 13 x 9 cake pan in the oven. Remove from oven. Sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter. Arrange pineapple slices and Maraschino cherries on top of brown sugar. Set aside. For the cake, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil in large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pour batter evenly over fruit in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes then invert cake onto a serving tray.
Cupcakes and Minicupcakes
I like to bring this portable dessert to church potlucks.
- non stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 24 Maraschino cherries
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits
- 1 package Duncan Hines Pineapple Supreme
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 24 muffin cups with cooking spray. Spoon 1 teaspoon melted butter into the bottom of each sprayed muffin cup. Then spoon 1 tablespoon brown sugar in each muffin cup. Place a maraschino cherry into the center of the brown sugar in each muffin cup. Place pineapple tidbits around the cherries. Mix the pineapple cake mix, eggs, pineapple juice, and vegetable oil in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Turn mixer speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes. Pour pineapple cake batter into the muffin cups, filling them to the top. Do not overfill them. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool at least 5 minutes before inverting muffin cups onto waxed paper to release. Serve with pineapple and cherry sides up.
- To make mini cupcakes spray a 48 count mini muffin pan with nonstick spray. Place teaspoon melted butter into the bottom of each sprayed muffin cup. Then spoon 1 teaspoon brown sugar in each muffin cup. Place chopped maraschino cherry on top of the brown sugar in each muffin cup. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of crushed pineapple over the cherry and compact it with the back of a spoon into an even layer. Mix the pineapple cake mix, eggs, pineapple juice, and vegetable oil in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Turn mixer speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes. Pour pineapple cake batter into the muffin cups, filling them to the top. Do not overfill them. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool at least 5 minutes before inverting muffin cups onto waxed paper to release. Serve with pineapple and cherry sides up.
See How It's Made
Pineapple Upsidedown Cheesecake
This cake is so good. I love anything with cheesecake in the title.
In just seconds, the Vacu Vin Pineapple Corer and Slicer with Wedger serves up deliciously fresh pineapple rings and chunks. With one easy movement, the heavy-duty stainless-steel tube blade and tube works like a corkscrew to peel, core and slice an entire pineapple in less than a minute. The separate sturdy plastic wedger quickly creates uniform chunks without tearing the juicy fruit and leaving a mess. Ergonomic handle releases easily to move pineapple slices for cleaning. The Vacu Vin pineapple corer preserves the shell to use for decoration or holding drinks.
Precision-stamped of high-carbon steel for greater stability and strength, the Wusthof serrated off-set bread/utility knife resists stains and retains its sharp edge through the rigors of daily use. The seamless, hygienic synthetic handle ensures a comfortable, slip-resistant grip. Since 1814 Wusthof has handmade its knives in Germany and the Wusthof PRO collection delivers ultimate professional styling and performance for chefs in world-class restaurants and busy home kitchens.