Savory Spanish Rice Recipe Easy To Make Step By Step Instructions
An Economical And Delicious Recipe From Mama
Ahhhhhh…mama’s Spanish rice. She not only spoke Spanish fluently, she also taught spanish to the police force, and anyone else who had a desire to learn this beautiful language. While working as a missionary among Spanish-speaking people, she learned to whip up some scrumptious recipes using the barest of necessities.
Her recipe for Spanish Rice will have your taste buds begging for more. I still remember as a child how we all gathered around the dining table, blessed the food. eagerly waiting for the "amen" signaling for us to dig in which is exactly what we all did. No one did much talking during dinner, as we were all to busy devouring mamas delicious, hot Spanish Rice.
This economical, easy to prepare recipe can be frozen for a quick side dish or main meal You can add your favorite meat, chicken or pork, peas, veggies and left-overs. Vegetarians, (like me), may omit the bacon, but for this recipe it really adds a yummy flavor.
So, let’s get started!
- 6 bacon strips
- 1 tbs canola, olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 1 cup long grain white or brown rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 2 large tomatos or 1 can tomatos, whole or chopped
- 1 med. green bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 2 med. jalapena peppers, remove seeds or it will be very hot
- a pinch seasalt
Directions For Making Spanish Rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove and place on paper towels.
- Add oil to the drippings; saute onion for 3 minutes.
- Add rice; stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
Serve and enjoy!
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 42 g||14%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 800 mg||33%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Another Recipe For Spanish Rice
A Few Surprising Facts About Rice
We can thank the Philippines for introducing rice to Mexico. Later, the Spaniards found the lush, tropical climate of Veracruz to be the perfect area for growing rice. Also:
- Rice is the agricultural commodity with the third-highest worldwide production.
- Rice is the most important grain with regard to human nutrition and caloric intake, providing more than one-fifth of the calories consumed worldwide by humans.
- Rice was introduced to Europe through Western Asia, and to the Americas through European colonization.
- The traditional method for cultivating rice is flooding the fields while, or after, setting the young seedlings.
- Jasmine rice from Thailand and Basmati rice from Pakistan and India contain the least arsenic among rice varieties in one study.
- Rice production uses almost a third of Earth’s fresh water.
A Spanish Lesson For Cooking Terms
· Pan Dulce-Sweet Bread
· Picante-Spicy hot
· Pimienta-Black pepper
· Ancho-Dried poblano chile
· Carne-Meat, usually beef
· Carnitas-Shredded, fried pork
· Chimichanga-Deep fried meat burrito
· Chipotle-Ripe jalepeno, smoked and dried. Can be canned in Adobo sauce.
· Chorizo -Spicy sausage
· Crema-A thickened cream similar to sour cream, but not as tangy.
· Habanero-Extremely hot pepper
Please rate my recipe -
Have You Made Spanish Rice?
© 2011 Audrey Hunt