Step-by-Step: Potato Salad Deviled Egg Style!
Perfect For the Picnic, Party or Grilling Day!
There's nothing like a creamy, hearty potato salad when you need to bring a dish to a potluck, picnic, or just grilling out with the family! I've made this Deviled Potato Salad many times. A friend just made a special request for me to whip some up for her recent party, so I documented all the steps to show you how to make it yourself!
Photo from buzztab.com
- The potatoes will require about 2 hours to cool after you boil them
- The salad will have to chill in the fridge for 2 hours before serving
- Make sure you alot enough time, or make the night before
Boiling Potatoes, Eggs, Mustard & More!
- You Will Need:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds cooked small (2-inch) boiling potatoes, cooled to room temperature and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- Paprika to taste
*I doubled the recipe since I was taking it to a party
** I also forgot to add the Mayo to the pic
Which is Your Favorite Picnic Side Dish?
Prepping the Ingredients
Boiling, Peeling & Chopping Galore!
- Either the day before, or early in the morning, cook the eggs and potatoes and let them cool. Here's how:
- Put the eggs in a pot and cover with cool water. Place on the burner and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, cover with a lid and let sit for about 15 minutes. Then run cold water into the pot to allow the eggs to cool.
Rinse your potatoes, then take a good look at them. Small to medium potatoes can stay intact, but larger potatoes should be cut in half. Leave the skin ON when you boil them so the flavor of the potato stays in the food instead of into the boiling water.
Cook for about 20 minutes until you can insert a knife easily into the center. I tried this with a sharp knife and it did slide in, but my potatoes were slightly underdone. I think you want it to slide in like a hot knife into butter.
Strain the potatoes and let cool for at least two hours before you handle them (or your burned fingers will regret it!)
Chop the onion, potato, and eggs (when they are cool enough to handle).
I use one of my very favorite kitchen tools - The Pampered Chef Food Chopper! Time Saver extraordinaire!
**Fast Forward 2 hours**
When the potatoes are cool, then take each one, peel off the skin and chop into bite-size chunks. The skin should easily come off the cooked potato.
Then you should have a bowl of yummy potato! Prepping and chopping is done!
I boiled the potatoes for 20 minutes & a knife inserted easily, but they were a little underdone. No one likes underdone potatoes in a creamy salad. So I finished cutting the slightly crunchy potatoes and put the in the microwave for 3 minutes -Voila!
Pampered Chef Food Chopper - Saves SO Much Time in the Kitchen!
Mixing the Potato Salad
Performing Potato Salad Alchemy!
- Add the mayo, cider vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard, and pepper into a small bowl. Whisk it all up so the flavors will be combined before you add it to the potatoes.
Pour the "sauce" over the potatoes, then add the onion, celery, and eggs.
Then, STIR IT UP! Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for several hours, or overnight, to let the flavors soak into the potatoes.
I packed mine up into a travel bowl with a lid to transport to the party. The seasoning on top is paprika - Yum!
The Finished Product!
How Did the Deviled Egg Potato Salad Taste?
Was the Party Dish a Win or a Flop??
- It was a win! This batch I made on 9/25/2010 for a friend's party. She asked me specifically to bring this salad. I had made it once before for my own party and she adored it. There was pressure though.... Could I make it as good as the original batch? Yes!
- One thing I might do differently next time is line the top of the bowl with sliced hard boiled egg as a decorative border for the dish.
Does This Recipe Sound Tempting?
Would You Try Making Deviled Potato Salad?
The Potato Salad Song! - I Always Think of This Video Clip When I Eat Potato Salad :-)
More Great Potato Salad Recipes - Now You Know How to Prep the Salad - Make Different Kinds!
- Warm German Potato Salad
I learned this Bavarian German potato salad recipe while living abroad in Germany for five years. This potato salad was a party and barbecue favorite.
- Nan's Classic Mustard Potato Salad
I'm always asked to share this recipe, and people are often surprised to see how similar the ingredients are to their own recipe.
- Cajun Potato Salad
Potato salad recipe is a prize winning Cajun recipe, and also a list of many other potato salad recipes. Try a different potato salad recipe.
- Homestyle Potato Salad Recipe
A picnic wouldn't be complete without a big bowl of southern potato salad and Mama's homestyle potato salad recipe is the best you're gonna find!