- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Fish Preparation In Kerala Style
Spicy Fish Curry
Fish curry can be prepared in different ways.Fish contains a lot of minerals including Calcium and Phosphorous.A verity of dishes can be made using Fish .We can preserve fish by Pickling , and by drying under the sun.Fish prepared by mixing some masalas,Salt and tamarind gives a wonderful taste which is unexpressable. .Fish curry can be prepared using coconut also.
Using dried fish a lot of dishes can be made. Fish chutney can be made by combining masalas ginger and some coconut powder.Fish pickle is another product from fish. If we took some effort we can make different dishes using Fishes.Fishes named Mackerel, Pom fret,Seer fish are very tasty fishes.Here is a tasty dish for Non- vegetarians which is my favorite fish dish.Please try and enjoy.
Spicy Fish Curry
Ingredients for fish curry
- Seer fish or Mackerel fish, -500gm- (cut into 2 inch pieces)
- Chilly powder, - 4 - Teaspoons
- Turmeric powder, -1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder, -1/4 - tsp
- -coriander powder, -1 - tsp
- kukumstar, -2 - pieces
- ginger, -2 inch piece (chopped)
- garlic, -8 pieces (chopped)
- salt, -1 - tsp
- coconut oil, -3 - tsp
- curry leaves, -2 - springs
Method of preparation.
- Clean the fish and cut it into 2inch square pieces
- Pour 2 tablespoon oil in a thick bottomed pan and saute Chilly powder,corriander powder, turmeric powder and fenuGreek powder till a nice aroma comes.
- Clean the Kukum star(Kudam Puli) and add this to the fish along with the sauted powder.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic and 2cups of water and enough salt
- Cook in a slow flame until the gravy is thick.
- Do not stir, if necessary you can lift the frying pan by its` handle and give it a gentle rotating or rocking motion during cooking to spread the gravy evenly.
- Stop cooking when the fish pieces are cooked sufficiently
- Add curry leaves and coconut oil.
About the cooking vessel
I used the vessal called 'Chatty 'made from mud for this preparation for preparing in traditional way. Any thick bottomed pan can be used instead of this mud vessel.
Five tsp of eastern fish masala powder can be added Instead of adding coriander powder,chilly powder and turmeric powder separately,
- .Allow the preparation to remain for one day.The taste will be really good because the fish pieces absorb the chilly powder,tamarind and salt in the right way.
- Kukum star(Kudampuli) is a kind of tamarind .If it is not available pulp from a lemon size tamarind can be used instead of kukumstar. ( Tamarind pulp can be easily extracted by soaking it in little hot water and squeezing after 10 minutes)
- Adding one tsp coconut oil along with curry leaves enhances the taste and smell.