Diet Soda Pop Cupcakes
Stick to Your Diet & Eat Cupcakes Too?
Love cake, but on a diet? Here's a super easy recipe allowing you to bake a cake and eat it too! The secret ingredient is none other than a can of diet soda!
This recipe originated as Diet Coke Cake, but I've found just about any combination of diet soda and cake mix will work.
I first encountered this dieter's dream cake on the Weight Watchers message boards where the average mix created a 1 point mini cupcake. Points are calculated by using the full dry mix and dividing by the number of servings.
Although this recipe works as a full cake, I find cupcakes to be a better option. They are portioned into individual servings, a plus for portion control, and can be frozen and stored easily. Read on for the recipe, topping suggestions, different combinations and links to more great recipes.
Photo used under Creative Commons from FrankenBerrysKiss.
The original recipe calls for a chocolate cake mix and a can of diet coke. Check below for other wonderful diet soda + cake mix combinations, or go wild and come up with your own. I am not sure who originated this recipe, but it has saved many a dieter with a sweet tooth or wanting to celebrate a birthday with a diet friendlier cake. Whoever you are. Thank you!
- 1 store bought cake mix
- 1 can of diet soda (12 oz)
- Mix the full can of diet soda with the cake mix.
- Blend well and then portion into cupcake liners.
- Bake at the recommended temperature and time on the cake mix box.
- You may want to check your cupcakes 5 minutes early. They could be done earlier or need a few minutes longer depending on your oven.
- Photo used under Creative Commons from Rachel Kramer Bussel.
Need a less moist cake?
Try adding 2-3 egg whites to the batter. As a bonus it ups the protein content of the cake. You could also back off a little on the pop by adding just 10 oz.
Soda Cake Recommendations - What is your favorite?
Did you come up with a combination that's too good not to share? Leave a comment at the end of this page and it will be added to the flavor list. Don't forget to name your creation!
- The Original. Diet Coke + Chocolate Cake Mix
- Slice of Heaven. Diet Sprite or 7up + Angel Food Cake Mix
- Twinkie-lish. Diet Lemon-Lime Soda + Yellow Cake Mix. Top with Cool Whip.
- Ginger Spice. Diet Gingerale + White Cake Mix.
- Chocolate Dipped Cherry. Diet Cherry Coke + Devils Food Cake Mix.
- Orange Crush. Diet Orange Pop + White or Yellow Cake Mix.
- Strawberry Dreams. Diet Strawberry Soda + White Cake Mix.
- Lemon Twist. Diet Rite Tangerine + Lemon Cake Mix.
- Cream Puff. Diet Cream Soda + White Cake Mix.
- Root Beer Float. Diet Root Beer + Vanilla Cake Mix
My favorite baking gadget ever - A must have in the kitchen
Blends, whips and mixes like nothing else can. All kinds of attachments are available to make homemade pasta, ice cream or even your own meat grinding.
If you like that, you might also like ... - All this fun cupcake stuff
Topping & Frosting Ideas - Cool Whip, Berries, Powdered Sugar
A little powdered sugar can be pretty without adding too many calories. If you are watching carbs you may want to try a sugar free whipped cream or cool whip. A little dab of straight out of the can frosting can be yummy too. My favorite is Pecan Coconut over a German chocolate diet coke cake. They also taste wonderful with a little fruit like strawberries or blueberries.
Photo used under Creative Commons from Sailor Coruscant.
Frosting Ideas & Other Diet Cake Recipes - Lose weight and eat your sweets too
- Diet Soda Cake with Pudding Frosting
Diet cake and frosting recipe.
- Sugar Free Carrot Cake with Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Moist carrot cake with the added advantage of being SUGAR FREE!
- Cooks.com - Recipe - Diabetic Creamy Frosting
This recipe uses cottage cheese... could be interesting. It is low sugar!
- A Recipe for Fudgy Black Bean Brownies | Meal Makeover Moms Kitchen
These are really good and you won't taste the beans, promise.
Video Tutorial on Soda Cake - Easy to whip up and fun
Reusable Cupcake Liners - These are wonderful!
No more paper stuck to your muffins and cupcakes. Reusable non-stick silicone bakes a perfect cupcake.
The Cupcake Club on Squidoo is an ever-growing collection of the best cupcake recipes ever. You can make pages for your favorite cupcakes (and even earn money from them). Click the big cupcake you see at the right to learn more and get started.
Where else can you find The Cupcake Club? - Our blog, HQ on Squidoo and Facebook Fan Club.
- The Cupcake Club: The Blog
For even more cupcake ideas.
- The Cupcake Club: Facebook Fan Club
This is where we have all our tasty discussions, weekly celebrations, and share our lenses back and forth.
- The Cupcake Club: Make your own cupcake page on Squidoo
Where you can go to make your next cupcake page for the club. For free.
What's your favorite flavor of cake? - Vote for the best flavor.
Photo used under Creative Commons from Stuart Webster.