- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Downhome Budget Sweet Biscuit Recipe
This is a homemade biscuit recipe that can be made from scratch using affordable ingredients. These biscuits have a cornbread style texture and a slight, sweet kick. They are great alone, served buttered or topped with peanut butter, fruit jams or jellies, made into breakfast sandwiches, served with dinner meals, or even make great dessert cups! Included at the bottom is an extra recipe for one of our favorite ways to enjoy a quick breakfast.
Fresh Baked Downhome Goodness!
- 3 1/2 cups Self-Rising Flour
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 stick Stick Butter or Margarine, cubed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, cube butter by using a fork and butterknife and cutting into slices, then cutting the slices further, until butter is in small, clumped-up cubes.
- Add just 2 of the 3 1/2 cups of the self-rising flour for now. Also add the milk, sugar, and water.
- Beat eggs separately then add them to the mixture. Mix it all together well.
- Now, after you've mixed everything well, add another 1 cup of the self-rising flour, mixing it in until the tough biscuit dough forms.
- Using some of the extra 1/2 cup or so of flour, dust a cutting surface and rolling pin.
- Roll out dough on the floured surface, about 1/3 to 1/2 inches thick.
- Cut out 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch diameter raw biscuits out of the rolled dough using a biscuit cutter and place them on a cookie sheet about a 1/2 inch apart from each other. Raw biscuits will be a little flimsy, but that's normal.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until biscuit surfaces appear golden and edges start to brown.
- Biscuits will be hot. Remove the biscuits from the cookie sheet. Serve warm with butter.
- Refridgerate leftover biscuits.
Cheesy, Chickeny Downhome Goodness In A Snap!
Downhome Budget Sweet Biscuit Ideas - Microwavable Downhome Cheesy Chicken Biscuits
This is a little side recipe included to give you a great use for your Downhome Budget Sweet Biscuits. These tasty Downhome Cheesy Chicken Biscuits sure hit the spot for breakfast or dinner, or as a quick snack!
Using Your Microwave - Makes 2 Sandwiches
Prep Time - 2 Minutes
Cook Time - 3 Minutes
Total Time - 5 Minutes
- 2 prepared, refridgerated Downhome Budget Sweet Biscuits, cut in half to form a "bun"
- 2 frozen chicken patties
- 1 slice of cheese - we use packaged, pre-sliced Muenster Cheese
- About 1 tbsp. butter or margarine
- Step 1 - On a microwave safe plate, start cooking your chicken patties on High heat for 1 Minute 10 Seconds.
- Step 2 - While you wait, prepare your cheese slice like so -
- - Cut the slice in half, then those halves in half.
- - Now cut each of these 4 squares in halves diagonally.
- - Now you should have 8 triangle-shaped cheese slices. This technique will allow the single slice to cover both patties later on.
- Step 3 - When the chicken patties are done their first heating, flip them over, from the middle of the plate, so that the edges that were towards the outside of the plate are now touching each other in the middle of the plate. This helps to cook them evenly.
- Step 4 - Put just the chicken patties back in the microwave for another 55 Seconds on High heat.
- Step 5 - Now, while those cook further, we can prepare the biscuits by -
- - Carefully, with a serrated knife, cut the biscuits on their sides to make "buns" for your sandwiches.
- - Butter each "bun" half, on the insides only.
- - Put the bun halves back together after buttering.
- Step 6 - This time when your chicken patties finish heating, flip them the same way you did last time in between cooking, then arrange 4 cheese triangles into squares to top each patty, covering them.
- Step 7 - Place the "buns" on the plate with your cheese-covered chicken patties and nuke it all for 45 Seconds on High heat.
- Step 8 - Be careful, they're hot! Let the food sit in the microwave for about a minute to cool a little, then take out and arrange your patties into their buns to assemble your sandwiches and enjoy!