Dua muoi - green mustard pickle recipes
Both of my two lasts sharing boiled pork and caramelised pork, go well with green mustard pickle. The pickle's acidity cuts through the fatty meat, contrasts with its sweetness and makes a perfect balance of yin and yang, yet good for our digestion.
Young green mustard pickle, at pre-ripening stage or just ripen stage, is a perfect side dish to accompany fatty meat; Mature and extra-mature one, in other hand, has great flavour influence to stir-fried, stew and canh dishes, a French chef would say, a good marriage :).
In the last 2-3 weeks, we made mustard pickle, one after another in a relax manner. We enjoyed it with boiled pork, caramelised pork and stew dishes at its ripening stage; we packed and stored it in the freezer when it matured.
This week, the veg in the garden has reached its peak and we must be quick. My uncle and I are going to reap the lot in two rounds, pickle and store for the winter.
I hope you'll find this dish interesting.
2 lb. green mustard, washed and cut crosswise into 2” length pieces
1 onion, cut lengthwise into 1/12” slices
chive or spring onion, cut crosswise into 2” length
2-3 tsp. salt
2-3 tsp. sugar
4 cup lukewarm water
- In a large glass jar, combine sugar, salt, water and stir until dissolve; Add green mustard, onion and chive, layer by layer in 3-4 goes. Press down with a small plate or a piece of rack so the liquid covers the green, above it, place a bowl of water or a glass of water to keep the green under the surface through out fermenting process. Leave the jar close to the stove or at a warm place; after 2-3 days, it’s ready. Serve as a side dish to accompany fatty dish as boiled pork or a stew dish.
- Wilt the mustard under the sun/wind before making it to enhance the crunchiness (optional).
- It ripens quicker in warm and humidity weather.
- From the second time making it, save 1/3 -1/2 of the liquid from the last pickle and mix with the new one to speed up the process.
- When it ripens, refrigerate if you want to lengthen its youth :)