The Best Bramley Apple pie Recipe
Easy Bramley Apple Pie Recipe
The Apple Pie
Apple pie. That delicious pie being eaten by someone somewhere this very second, The apple pie tastes great hot or cold, with ice cream, cream, custard and a lots of other combinations.
The filling can vary to sliced apple, stewed apple, chunks of apple with cinnamon, with berries, sultans and all kinds of other spices, fruits and peoples favourite`s.
This apple pie recipe is simple using bramley cooking apples and in a sweet pastry crust, and can be severed hot or cold.
Rate My Easy Bramley Apple Pie Recipe
Easy Bramley Apple Pie Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups (250g) plain flour
- 4 1/2 oz (125g) butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup (76g) caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1, 1/2 tablespoon chilled water
- For The Easy Apple Pie Recipe Filling
- 7 large bramley apples
- 3 oz (80g) sugar
- 1 tea spoon cinnamon, (optional)
- 3 table spoons cold water
Easy Bramley Apple Pie Recipe
- First The Sweet Pastry Recipe, . .We need to make this twice once for the bottom pastry and one lot for the top pastry for our apple pie.Or double the mix and do one big batch. Combine your sifted flour, butter and the sugar in a food processor. Process until mixture looks a bit like fine breadcrumbs. This can be done by hand rubbing the ingredients together,
- Now we add egg and chilled water. Process until dough just comes together in to one lump, If your doing this by hand i use a blunt eating knife to mix the ingredients together it seems to work well.
- Turn your pastry out onto a lightly floured surface. you may have too Knead until its nice and smooth. Shape into two flat balls. Wrap in cling film or non stick paper and chill for 30 minutes
- . The Apple Pie Filling Recipe
- Ok so now we need to peel, remove the apple core and cut our apples in to smallish chunks. Note if you are doing a lot of apples they will start to turn brown we can stop this from happening by. placing the peeled and chopped apples in to a container/bucket of cold water with a squeeze of lemon in.
- Once our apples are peeled and cut into pieces we can add them to a heavy based pot and place on a low heat.
- Now add the two table spoons of water and the sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir your apple mix every now and again to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pan, Try to break the apples up while you are stirring to help speed up the cooking time,
- While your apple pie filling is cooking, set your pastry on the side to come back to room temperature. I find rolling out pastry that is too cold will crack and well basicly hard work. Once your apple is stewed down and nicely cooked remove from the heat and leave to cool. It is worth tasting at this point to see if you need to add any more sugar to make it a little sweeter.
- You need to roll out your pastry for the apple pie base, Use a rolling pin or a bottle if you do not have a rolling pin. You dont want too much flour on your surface as the pastry will exorbe some and become to dry and crack. you just need a good hand full scattered on to your surface, also I try to keep my rolling pin floured too, Your pastry needs to be 1/8 of a inch (3.5ml) thick.
- Now you need to place your rolled out pastry in to your greased baking tin. And repeat the rolling out with your pastry for your apple pie lid.
- So its time to add the apple to your pie base, Once you have filled tin base you need to brush the beaten egg round the outside edge of your pie.
- Now place the pastry lid on top. You need to seal the edges what i do is push in fairly hard in to the edge where the top and bottom pastry meet this makes a good seal and looks good after cooking.
- The excess pastry hanging down the sides of your tin needs triming off now ether with a knife or by rolling you pin over the top. You can now use and excess pastry to make shapes to go on the top like leaves, Last thing to do before baking is to brush egg over the top then stab two holes in to let out any steam during cooking.
- Place in a pre heated oven at 375 (190c) for 45 to 55 minutes depending on your oven, It should look nice and golden colour. Remove from the oven and cool slightly for 10 mins,
- Now serve with your favourite apple pie a compliment ice cream, cream or custard,