- Food and Cooking
Easy Cheesy Broccoli
Add some cheese and a crunchy topping to broccoli and it becomes a favorite treat. My family always looks forward to my broccoli casserole. It's a wonderfully easy dish to prepare, it's convenient to bring to pot luck parties, and it's a perfect side dish for holiday meals like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter.
My Mother used to make this cheese sauce to serve over vegetables and I decided to make it one better by adding a cheesy topping and baking it into a decadent broccoli casserole.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and I'd love to hear your thoughts if you decide to try it.
Cheese Sauce is the secret to getting kids to love Broccoli (or almost any vegetable). I frequently make Broccoli and Cheese and the kids look forward to it. This is also a simple dish to bring for a holiday meal, or potluck dinner.
Nutritional Yeast is a fantastic addition to your pantry. It's the secret to the tasty topping on this casserole and it's loaded with vitamins, including B12 which is an important supplement for vegans. I use this as a replacement for parmesan cheese in vegan recipes, as a tasty topping on casseroles, and it's a wonderful topping for popcorn. I also slip this into many other recipes, to help the vegans in my family keep up with their vitamin B12 needs.
- 2 16 ounce Packages Frozen Broccoli Florets
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Skim Milk
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Flaxseeds (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare casserole dish for baking
- Microwave broccoli according to the directions on the package, until slightly tender. (don't overcook)
- Pour the milk and mayo into a small microwave safe bowl and mix well.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute
- Stir 1 1/2 Cups of the cheddar cheese into the mayo mixture and return to microwave for another minute
- Stir well, until all cheese is melted.
- Season with onion powder
- Pour sauce over well-drained broccoli and combine
- Add broccoli and sauce mixture to the casserole
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, flaxseeds, and the rest of the cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes
Golden Flaxseed Meal
This is the flaxseed that I use for the toping on this casserole. I started adding this to my diet last year when my doctor recommended omega 3s to lower my triglycerides, instead of taking a cholesterol lowering drug. My triglycerides dropped by 100 points and at the same time I discovered this fantastic condiment and ingredient to add to a variety of dishes. I have been experimenting by adding this to a wide variety of hot and cold foods to increase my own omega 3s and to also help my family members that don't like taking supplements and prefer eating their vitamins and minerals. I've tried a variety of different flax seeds and flax meals, and this is my favorite.
What did you think?
Please let me know if you tried this recipe and what you thought, also feel free to post any changes you made to make this your own recipe.